Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Well after a bit to to and fro with the prop shaft here it is

Just got to see if it fits now!

I'd ordered up a black silicon bottom rad hose and look what arrived, right shape wrong colour.
    Looks a bit out of place.

Have to return for a refund and order another. Another week gone! The correct colour arrived this time. Looks better.

While I was waiting I had a look at the bear claw latches. These have been on the list of todos for a while.
    The original builder or some other owner had fitted them in upside down so you have to lift the door handle to get in.
    Everyone naturally pushes down on the lever so its got a bit sloppy over the years.
    The catches have had mis matching panels, one ally, one stainless riveted over them.
    I drilled these off and look what I found...

They have been well butchered the welding also leaves a lot to be desired looks like a seagull had a dump!

I've got a piece of 2mm steel plate to make new panels for ether side. These hopefully will be welded in properly and smoothed into the door, not just covered over.

On to the alternator bracket.
    I decided that I could use the existing bracket as a template for the new one.
    Spoke to Paul at Wheng parts who was really helpful, but unfortunately as is the way these days to have something custom made in the UK just works out expensive. Taking into account time on CAD, the alloy needed, machining, postage and VAT it would have come out at 130.00!!!
    The original cost 45 shipped from Australia. Again the Chinese have a lot to answer for...
    Found the ally plate I need at the Aluminium Warehouse which just happens to be 10 minutes down the road.
    18.00 for the plate, just got to get it to the right shape now

Can't remember if you have a prop safety loop. If not now's the time to put one near to the diff joint.
    G

With Uncle Fad on that, only because the horses you are going to be going with will be much more than original. I saw a prop break at the pod once and the gut had a full bodied car (steel) and it ripped through the floor and hit the side of his crash hat, all ok but scary to say the least.

UJs with U bolts are know to fail....

The rear of the chassis was built by Hausers back in the late 90's if my paper work is to be believed. They seem to have done a good job.
    There is a safety loop just back from the trans end and the shaft goes through a protection built into the chassis.

New prop in place.

I did have some Moroso ally caps for the rear U/J but they turned out to be too small so using U bolts for the moment.

Working out the pinion angle, looks like I have 0.8 degrees between the shaft and the pinion at present.
    My book says can be up to 7 degrees for 800 - 1000hp.
    Now I can move the lower 4 bar links down and the axle will rotate to the correct position.
    The mounting pads for the wheelie bars will then be in the correct place! Almost like I planned it

Great stuff.

That looks tuff enough

OK time for some metalwork. Starting with a new sheet of ally.

Drew round existing bracket.

Drilled some holes.

Did some jigsawing- couple of blades later.

Just got to sort out the tension slot at the top abd belt sand the edge to the profile.

Finished, just got to give it a quick polish. Took 2 hours start to finish.

Now got to find some 7/8" spacers to get the right alignment for the belt.
    Last edited by fabphil; 18-02-20 at 03:04 PM.

Alternator in
    Had to mess around with threaded rod and spacers as couldn't find bolts long enough over here.
    Now have the belt on order.

Excellent, great to see some progress pictures, must be getting close to bedding in the cam