Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Settling in

66 Mustang Autocross (Gymkhana?) Toy

I've been trying to resurrect a long dormant project of late. I actually started this innocently enough about 20 years ago then life took a major left turn. After having recently returned to the correct track I decided to try and get this thing at least to the point where it would move under its own power. I've been autocrossing for a l-o--n-g time with the same car, a 66 mustang coupe and it was getting a little dirt track looking for lack of a better description.

I decided to buy a straight tub, install a proper cage in it and then transfer the mechanicals from my old car into for a more presentable product. Of course as I'm sure many of you know that the longer it takes to complete a project the more you face the danger of "scope creep". True to form my elegantly simple planned morphed into a full coil over double a arm front and a coil over 3 link rear design. I also chose to step up the game in terms of ergonomics and rules maximization.

There definitely won't be constant updates as I have many other irons in the fire but am motivated to realize my goal of having it movable under its own power by early spring.

The first picture is essentially what it has looked like for the past 10 or so years

This photo is how it sets today, literally hanging from the rafters. Not having a lift I decided to build a gallows to hang it from to make it easier to work on the front suspension.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Hell yeah, I'm liking that! Are you sure those front tires are wide enough? You'll get some grip with those!

Looks better on the ground than in the air. Plans always seem to extend more than expected and therefore the execution invariably takes longer. Maybe a video of first fire up when the time comes, we like photo's but videos are even better.

Or is this just a ploy to get to the adult section

Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Looks better on the ground than in the air. Plans always seem to extend more than expected and therefore the execution invariably takes longer. Maybe a video of first fire up when the time comes, we like photo's but videos are even better.

Or is this just a ploy to get to the adult section
    Dammit. They're on to me!!

Yep, yer busted.

Hey, how about doing a history of the [original] car? I see there are parts of it that still live on... Man, youd be into 4 digits of posts if you just told half the stories that car could tell...

Settling in
    Well been busy with life! This car is essentially all there . . ."some assembly required"! After I strung it up from the rafters I started installing the Ride Tech front suspension and immediately ran into issues with their bearing retainers working with they Dynacorn replacement strut brackets. After several attempts to make the retainers work including working with the Ride Tech engineers to come up with an off the shelf solution, I've determined that I'll have to do some machining to make everything work together. I'll drop them at the machine shop tomorrow and as soon as I get them back I'll post some pics of what I had to do to make them work. In Ride Tech's defense, if it hadn't been necessary to remove the original strut brackets their stuff would have worked perfectly!

And honestly MJ the old car exists primarily in spirit only. Other than the doors and drivetrain it's all different.

Triggers broom.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Triggers broom.
    That may need further explanation

Old enough to know better
    Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    That may need further explanation
    * see 'Paddy's shovel' *

Settling in
    Trigger's Broom fits to a "T"!

You're right Fab and Kerby, this yank had to look it up. Found Fools and Horses but the only Paddy's shovel I found involved Shawn getting his ass handed to him by Paddy. The bartender was understandably confused as Shawn is a big strapping longshoremen and Paddy is a miniscule gardener. Bartender asked Shawn if Paddy had used something on him and he replied "yes, a shovel". Bartender asked Shawn if he didn't have something in his hand he could have defended himself with and Shawn replied "Yes, Mrs. Paddy's breast. And a fine breast it were but pretty useless in a fight!"