Might as well be part of the furniture.

Radiators and AN fittings

I need to modify the rad on the T, mainly because when this was first designed it was to have a rover lump in it and now it has a BB mopar so the bottom and top hose points are in different places and also it has a filling point on the rad that will be redundant as well.
    So, it's an old school rad, not aluminium, removing and redoing the outlet and inlet should be fairly easy but I was thinking of going with AN fittings, does anyone know if you can get female bungs to fit to a copper tank. I've looked on the web but to no avail, all I get are weld in bungs in stainless, mild steel or aluminium.
    Alternatively I was thinking that maybe there were screw in bungs then all I would need to do is get a circular piece of copper, solder it in place and then cut an internal thread the size of the bung.
    I realise that the largest size AN fitting I can get is -20, I think this is marginal on size for main hoses, I've looked for -24 but they all seem to be the "fake" fitting with a jubilee clip inside the fitting. I did see one for sale in America but that wa from an ex-NAS CAR engine and was only one fitting, plus it was bloody expensive.
    Any thoughts or ideas?
    Cheers.

I used the pretend ones on my rad, but have 90* swivel real ones on each head. They cost 70 quid each a few years ago.

Just used formed silicon bends to do the bottom hose.... hate to think what big fitting for the water pump inlet would cost

Last edited by fad15; 07-11-17 at 06:24 PM.

The top hose on mine is pretty much dead centre of the rad and will rise up to the outlet on the water pump where the thermostat and the pressure cap are located, the bottom hose needs to be on the passenger side and will have a 90 degree bend and then fairly straight. The AN fittings have come down in price but I think I will end up using black silicon hose and some really good quality stainless steel clamps instead as AN20 only has an internal diameter of just over 1" so I think flow will be restricted. It was just a thought really and on your set up you have two top hoses so the flow should be ok.