Might as well be part of the furniture.

TV's and stuff (not cross dressers)

My trusty old CRT has finally given up the ghost so I am in the market to get a new TV, probably in the sales as it's not urgent, we hardly ever watch the thing for a couple of reasons, firstly the reception where I am is dreadful and secondly the crap that is shown these days doesn't really float my boat, however every now and then something does come on that we might like to see.

Currently we watch most things on our laptops or Ipad things, this is for the most part not too bad but our broadband is not great either as we are about as far away from the exchange as you can get.

So I'm leading towards a smart TV as we can then watch stuff on a bigger screen than the lapustopus but does anyone know of a system that we could use to get a better quality signal or better broadband system. We are with BT, but have tried others over the years but they all use BT's cables so not a lot changes. Fibre optic is never going to happen down our lane.

We are surrounded by very tall trees, that I can't chop down (not on my land), a few years ago I tried a satellite dish but again due to the trees there was no clear line of sight and after two days of trying to get the damn thing to work it was sent back.

So any suggestions on watch make of TV would be good (I am not paying thousands for one though) and any suggestions as to a better system for actually watching stuff? No I don't subscribe to any Sky, Virgin etc. just a TV licence.

Mmmm sounds like a tough one with no cable internet. A friend who can't get a cable internet connection either did mention hes neighbour managed to set up a signal booster somehow. That may be worth looking into

We have a Panasonic and Samsung tv's both pretty good, but think the Samsung has more on it as smart tv's go and includes Now tv and all the catch up channels, pictures excellent too

Netflix is worth looking into too

Got a Samsung smart 4k, but its buffers on the internet (catch up, BBC iplayer etc). Got a range extender but it still does it. Laptops, tables etc don't do this so I think its down to the TV. Speed test on my connection reads 10 meg so the speed is there.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    What's your mobile phone signal like from the various providers? - I hear of some people without BT fixed lines getting deals for all services including internet from these providers.

At work (AV, Networks and home automation installation) we tend to favour Sony or Panasonic screens as first choice then LG and Samsung.
    To run Netflix or Amazon you will need a solid 10Mbps. or more otherwise you will get buffering.
    If your terrestrial TV signal is bad look for a TV with FreeSat rather than FreeView, and get a dish fitted (thats what I use at home).
    Most TV's are now 4K but you need Netflix, Sky or a 4K Bluray player to make it worth while.
    If your not a great TV watcher 1080p will do you fine.
    Although it sounds big I would not go for anything less than 50/55 inches in a Lounge.
    Broad band is a pain if you live a distance from the exchange. All providers except Virgin will use the same copper in the ground just different billing at the exchange.
    Satellite broad band is very expensive and usually has a capped allowance.
    We have just had a customer try a 4G data service from EE which gave him 32Mbps but again his data was capped and used quickly as soon as the family started to watch HD films.
    Last edited by fabphil; 24-12-17 at 03:54 PM.

My eyes and ears are no too good so an old CRT would be OK with me. Had my B&O TV for 30 years and finally had to get the Samsuck thing a few years back.

Everyone comments on the picture quality, but as yet I haven't been able to patch it into my B&Q Pentagram speakers, so even with a sound bar it leaves a lot begging.

I will never pay to watch stuff on TV and after adding up what my mate has spent on a Blue ray player, SKY, Netflix etc over the years calculated I am close to 10K ahead.

There is only so many reality shows, dancing shows and singing show I can put up with. I may have watched 1 or 2 of them and that, was that, my friends.

Complete crap for the masses and served up with ever increasingly long adverts.....

Well just done a speed check on my service using a google note book (in case it makes any difference)

Down Load Speed is 6.3 Mbps and Up Load Speed is 0.6 Mbps so doesn't look that great to me and would be the reason when watching stuff I get buffering on a fairly regular basis and that is with just me using the wifi.

Apparently we do have a kite data box thing for running the heating and a few other bits but it costs 20 a month for 50 Gig however this gets eaten up quickly if you watch films etc. so I am told.

If I got a TV with freesat would I not be in the same position as when I tried fitting a satellite dish, line of sight and trees etc?

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    If I got a TV with freesat would I not be in the same position as when I tried fitting a satellite dish, line of sight and trees etc?
    The dish would need clear line of sight south east approx 30 degree elevation.
    Got an axe????

The line of sight has got a little better from when I originally tried putting a dish up but there are two maybe three trees that still need to "move", the trouble is I am obviously getting old as the last tree to "move" was done at night in the rain during a bit of a gale with trusty chainsaw and I nearly crapped myself whereas previous "moves" done under similar circumstances was never an issue.

I do have a structure in the garden that might be able to have a dish attached to it and might miss the tree line but it is some 50 or 60 feet away from the house. I'll get the old protractor out tomorrow and have a look.

You haven't missed much on tv over Christmas anyways Stilltrying
    Stella on Now tv is quite good though, maybe worth a look once you get sorted