Might as well be part of the furniture.

Torqueflight fluid

Probably one for our Uncle Fad.

I am taking the plunge and going to rebuild my 727 torqueflight autobox, a few reasons really, one I have not found a cheap enough manual transmission, two I have already made the mounts for the auto and they sort of work, thirdly I have never done one before so thought it would be a job to try over the Christmas break and finally IF it works it is the cheapest way forward.

Done a few manual boxes years ago but never an auto.

So I have purchased a complete rebuild kit for the box including all new bushings along with a deep ali sump and I have looked at a few you tube videos, so I should be good to go

The question is what fluid to use? lots of differing opinions from ford stuff to dextron 111 and atf+4, want to get some quickly to soak the clutch parts in before assembly, will eventually need about 2.5 gallon of the stuff when I get a new converter plus the deep sump. It is not cheap stuff is it?

went and double checked an old Plymouth factory manual because my memory isnt as clear as it ought to be sometimes on these types of things, and it says Dexron...

Dex 6. Dex 3 is no longer really available. Don't use the cheap stuff from well know motor factors. Probably run on cooking oil, but any good fluid will do. If you are rebuilding and cleaning everything, cross contamination is not a problem. What about the converter? are you having it rebuilt?. Silly not to as its on the same fluid as the cooked box. Soaking the frictions plates is a good thing; something most people don't bother wit. Don't forget to liberally soak the pump and bushes as well.

We use Millermatic for normal old box rebuilds. Its good stuff.
    G

PS. MJ. DexRON is OK... most people call it dextron for some reason. He he...
    Last edited by fad15; 29-12-17 at 06:00 PM.

Bugger Bugger Bugger!!!!!! Did a bit of googling, got confused atf+3 and +4 or in some places 3+ or 4+ plus some said to use Ford gear as it shifts better, eventually got a guy who builds torqueflights and he always uses Dexron so coupled with MJ's post I have just been out and bought 15l of Dex111,
    yes 111 BUT from eurocarparts!!!! with special discount due to the holidays (they always have some form of discount all year round) it worked out at about 16 a gallon, normally between 25 to 38 a gallon thought I had a bargain.

It is Triple QX ATF Dexron 111, should I take it back?

Use it. It will be no problem.

We build for 50K plus miles to cover our warranty. Thing is that after all the effort and cost of a rebuild a lot of people cost cut on the fluid, if you get my meaning. Save 30 quid...... Bit like putting Euro cheap oil in a M series.

Experience has taught us that cheap oil/fluid has a higher proportion of recycled material in it. As a recommendation to all out there, go for MIllermatic, it's back compatible with just about everything until you get to 7 speed auto's and up. Many newer cars will only take specific fluid, like ZF, new CVTs and Ford powershifts. Old stuff will run on most of the fluids out there but they do not have the 'finesse' of Miller in shift quality.

I could get into shear coefficient and temperature restraints of each fluid etc, but that's a whole new ball game and to be honest its bordering on my O level chemistry qualification. I would have to read a lot of stuff and do much more research to be in a position to offer a comprehensive explanation.
    G
    Last edited by fad15; 29-12-17 at 08:20 PM.