Might as well be part of the furniture.

One for the engineers

The four bar set up on the front of the T is constructed from chromed steel bars/tubes with rose joints (heim joints to some) at each end. The bars/tubes (I don't know if they are solid bars or tubes) are pitted with rust and I was wondering about getting some 316l Stainless steel BAR of 20mm diameter (basically the same diameter as already on there) and putting threads in them for the rose joints, my question is will 20mm solid stainless steel be adequate for this or would it need to be thick wall tube?

The alternative would be to have the existing rechromed.

Any views?

Well, Im not an engineer - my dad was, so that counts, right?
    One thing I do remember tho, even tho its contrary to first reaction, is that solid stock has a lower bending pressure than thick wall tube of the same diameter. Now, having said that, I still cant answer your question accurately because of several things, [not the least being lack of knowledge] like how heavy the car is - lateral and torsional load as well as static - length of material in the component [bending moment], life cycles and Im sure a hundred other things. As a rule of thumb tho, memory says that one needs to go up some 25 to 33% larger diameter in solid stock to achieve the same bending resistance as tube, assuming the material is the same. In your case, sounds like the originals are mild steel ; more flexible and less prone to fatigue, but probably not as 'strong'. However, if I were to go solid, w/o referring to some material tables for bending and shear strength, I would go up some on diameter.

Of course, my advice is worth precisely what it just cost you...

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Whilst the use of stainless steel for components is far more widespread now than in previous years - and with many differing grades available - and although stainless is a far tougher material than mild steel - in my experience it tends to be more brittle (again, no doubt depending on grading). With regards to re-chroming mild steel components I would be inclined to investigate if there is a risk of embrittlement and loss of ductility if a chemical stripping and subsequent chroming process is used..

Tube has more surface area then bar so its a better choice. . Although my RR etc are CDS I have many many SS parts on the car. I have no problem with it providing its a good grade and well engineered. Somewhere there is a pic of all my suspension 'bolts' made in SS.
    Guggle S S front ends, there's loads of them
    Here's a started for 10

http://rodtech.com.au/frontend?product_id=249
    Last edited by fad15; 24-01-18 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malamute john View Post
    Well, Im not an engineer - my dad was, so that counts, right?
    One thing I do remember tho, even tho its contrary to first reaction, is that solid stock has a lower bending pressure than thick wall tube of the same diameter. ..
    This was in the back of my mind hence the question, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    Whilst the use of stainless steel for components is far more widespread now than in previous years - and with many differing grades available - and although stainless is a far tougher material than mild steel - in my experience it tends to be more brittle (again, no doubt depending on grading). With regards to re-chroming mild steel components I would be inclined to investigate if there is a risk of embrittlement and loss of ductility if a chemical stripping and subsequent chroming process is used..
    I'm looking at 316l which is what they use on yachts and anything that gets near salty environments and is also used extensively in pharmaceutical industries. I would rather stainless more because I'm a lazy bugger when it comes to cleaning and looking after shiny stuff so anything that will not rust again is my best course of action

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Tube has more surface area then bar so its a better choice. . Although my RR etc are CDS I have many many SS parts on the car. I have no problem with it providing its a good grade and well engineered. Somewhere there is a pic of all my suspension 'bolts' made in SS.
    As you know I bought this as a rolling chassis but the more I look into things the more I realise I will have to redo stuff because to my limited engineering skills it is UNSAFE as it is given the way I will end up driving it. Don't know if that is down to the designer or the last owner but nice chromed bolts and nuts are fine however if the bolt doesn't protrude into the nyloc then it's not doing it's job so looks like I will have to source a load of chromed high tensile allen bolts and a load of washers as well
    After removing the rear axle just to fit a couple of brake pipe clamps I realised that the only thing holding the axle in place is the four chromed allen bolts in the top of the diff with some weird washers and two top mounts for the coil overs, with the size of wheels and tyres plus the more grunty engine than the car was designed for, I'm also going to fit radius arms as I can't see the axle staying in place when the right foot hits the loud pedal. It will slightly spoil the look but I just know the damn thing will end up twisting out of shape if I don't

If it will help, and for what its worth, I would be more than happy to drop down one day and have a look see. Can't be sure to help you but another set of eyes is always helpful. Let me know.

As a bonus I will bring the PT Cruiser soft top......so you can stand in awe at its hot rod stance and pure 135BHP out of a 2.4 ltr engine.
    G
    Last edited by fad15; 24-01-18 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    If it will help, and for what its worth, I would be more than happy to drop down one day and have a look see. Can't be sure to help you but another set of eyes is always helpful. Let me know.

As a bonus I will bring the PT Cruiser soft top......so you can stand in awe at its hot rod stance and pure 135BHP out of a 2.4 ltr engine.
    G
    That would be most welcome, I will have to sort the lane out first so the chrysler hot rod could get to us, I will let you know when that is done so we can arrange something.

I didn't realise you still had the "hot rod", got rid of our diesel one middle of last year, at least I don't get waved at by other owners anymore

Just thought. Where about's are you. PM me...