Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!

Stars 'n' Stripes Vert

I'm trying to help out a Scottish gentleman trying to trace some history on a small block 68 -70 Corvette rag-top. Sharper eyed viewers will notice later rear lights (with back-up lenses). Story is that the car was first registered in the UK to TVR at Blackpool, shortly after that a Mr Phillips in Blackpool, Oldcott Motors in Stoke, someone in Solihul and then a Mr Pearce I think in Brighton. The car has seemingly been up on a ramp fro the last 30 or so years. Does anyone recognise this car?
    Last edited by roscobbc; 21-02-18 at 01:55 PM.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Sorry cant help. But early Earls court seems to stir in my mind....

Obviously Im no help, but it does have 69-up taillight lenses and 69-up doors, so it may well not be a 68. Is the key on the column or on the dash? Seats look later than 68 too; what about door panels? I know that all of this is easily changed, but the dash and key location isnt, so that could tell you quickly whether to eliminate 68. The VIN will tell you what year it is, and the body tag will tell you about original colours, but you already know all that, so i just wasted some electrons...sorry. Automotive archaeology is fun.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    What initially 'threw' me was being told it was registered as a 327 cu in - hence thinking it was a '68. An incomplete section of vin number given to me shows the car as either being a January 20th 1968 car - or - a May 18th 1970 car (which seems more likely) - the word is that the car was supposed to have used by Evil Knievel during his mid 70's tour of the UK. So far no photographic or any other evidence has come to light.

Hmmmm.... memory says that the digit right in front of the 'S' in the VIN gives you the year - dont quote me, but thats my memory. Didnt know the serial number could tell you a manufacture date; again, my memory is that the first 5 digits were the model number [coupe vs convertible for a Corvette] then the year digit, then the letter S as all were built in St Louis, then the sequential 'serial number' . That arrangement/sequence might be different for different years, [ but all save 53s should have an S in the VIN somewhere] but thats my memory on 68 to 73s at least as thats what I studied the most bitd.
    If English registration notes engine size, and if its a 327, then its a 68 assuming its stock. Would there have been a tax advantage or something to say 327 vs 350 maybe? Enquiring minds want to know...

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Wasn't given digits in front of 'S' John. Back over there on CCCUK forum someone remembered this coming-up for discussion some time back - seemingly there were questions about whether Evel himself actually even drove the car.........

of the Croydon Teds
    I can only be about as useful as a chocolate teapot here but might I just say "Wow! What a find!" Doesn't matter if the Evel Knievel claim is a load of rubbish, you just know that that 'Vette has a great history regardless, warm summer nights cruising Van Nuys or the King's Road or some old main drag somewhere in the world. A young man's dream come true...

Just needs some Cobra Superslots, General Grabbers, Thrush side pipes and a bit of sympathetic renovation and it could be doing that all over again!

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Well said young Nige - just been havin' an extended email conversation with the Malamute - he praises your enthusiasm about all things on 4 wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    Wasn't given digits in front of 'S' John. Back over there on CCCUK forum someone remembered this coming-up for discussion some time back - seemingly there were questions about whether Evel himself actually even drove the car.........
    hmmm.. ya know, maybe I oughta mosey over to that forum and look in ; bein a member of the club I should avail myself of the advantages of the forum!

anyway, personally dont get too excited over 'celebrity' connections - much more interested in the CARS history and what driveline it has etc. whatever the deal is, sounds like the current owner should send it to Mr Incubator Jones for repair and safekeeping!