Thread: BIVA question

Might as well be part of the furniture.

BIVA question

I'm building the T as I want but have in the back of my mind that if things get a bit messy and I have to go for BIVA then I need to know what I'm going to need to change.

Not worried about open engine bay or exhausts as I already have a back up plan for that, the suspension isn't an issue either, switches and warning things again not a worry, easy to change as and when if needed, even the shoulder height for the seat belt can be retrospectively altered to comply, HOWEVER, the one item I am completely at odds with is the steering column, I'm running a box that is bolted directly to the frame with a vertical column. The regs require a collapsible column or collapsible steering wheel boss incase of an accident. I doubt me fitting a collapsible steering wheel boss to a vertical column is going to comply, anyone got any ideas?

I'm thinking way in the future and it is my fall back plan if everything goes tits up, (if BIVA is still an option then), also I'm cold and bored so came in to warm up a bit before heading back out to the garage

If your steering ROD (the main shaft that connects the wheel to the box/rack) is attached from your wheel to the steering box without any form of joint to allow it to move away without bending the rod itself,you may have a problem.

I asked this question a while back and at that time the regs could/did not cover a vertical column. The thing is, it can't 'spear' you as its not pointing at your chest area, although the spokes of the wheel could. So how do the 'power to be' justify a collapsible column?

With no definitive answer I took it on myself to put holes in the bottom of the column surround (I have a UJ down there so that covers the moving away from you for the actual steering rod) so the surround would would break away if I hit it. I did this as a matter of course and logic, not because of any regs.

Now the wheel itself.... who knows, but if its a collapsible one, then that's as much as you can do. I often wonder how they would approach a Tiller, as seen on any number of veteran cars in the Brighton run. Funny how they seems to get away with all kinds of shit and we can't.

The thing is that the spokes of the wheel, could be seen as a potential problem if they dont collapse when you hit them.

Its all mostly bullshit in a T anyway. If you hit something that hard, then its a matter of fate what the end result is....

as always JMHO

No joint at the base of the column but there are three rose joints from the box to the off side hub, would have to be very unlucky to get harpooned by any of it as there are a few angles involved. I don't even have an upper column mount as yet and don't really want one if it is stable enough to get away with it.

The spokes of the wheel are fine, all solid with rounded edges. I do know that forward steering systems didn't need a collapsible unit as if it got hit it would pull the column and wheel away from the driver, I'm sort of in the same mind with my set up, if anything clobbers the axle out front and all the forces went straight to the bottom of the steering box then the same principal would apply.

I also agree, hit anything in a T and it's fate as to what the outcome will be, IF the worse happens I think I would have to argue the case as above, especially if there are no clear cut rules for an up right column. It is the only item that I have no clear vision as to how to make it comply with the regs if the worse happens, everything else is doable without having to think too much.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 01-04-18 at 09:27 PM.

The joint at the bottom of the column is to allow it to move away id I ever hit it. If its solid it would have to bend.Thats also why the surrounding tube has been weakened at the bottom.
    G

Your system would work and if pointed out at the test would probably pass. I have not looked at the base of mine as yet but it looks solidly mounted to the box and there certainly are no holes in the outer cover to "weaken" it. I will have to remove the column on mine to have a look and see if the same system you have would work for me. If it would then that would be the answer, just need to "educate" the tester at the time to make sure it was ok.