Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!

'Modified' vehicles

OK so I haven't been taking any interest in the 'rodding' following the side of our hobby and things like BIVA and 8 point rules. Having got my 'kicks' from plain 'ole American muscle cars. However I may find myself with a 'spare' big cube powerplant (namely 570 bhp BBC engine) and have been thinking of what I could install it in to and the 'balance' of retaining original structural components vs introducing suitable (well suitable to handle the significant power/weight increase etc) and how this would play against 8 point rule and other current or impending legislation. So guys can any give a 'fag packet' resume of what I could actually get away with in terms of minimal legislation. Vehicle of choice might be something early/mid sixties or pre-sixties - perhaps an early/late Hillman Husky, 100E etc etc.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    You require 8 points from a possible 14.
    5 of those points have to be from either the unaltered monocoque body or unmodified chassis.
    Then you have 2 points for front and rear suspension. Alter one end and you loose both points.
    Then there is 2 points for original axles, again alter one and you loose both points.
    1 point for original engine.
    2 points for original transmission.
    2 points for original steering

If it is a monocoque body then no cutting of the body such as the trans tunnel, bulkhead, inner wings, floor or chopping of roofs etc. If a chassis car then no alteration to the chassis rails, out riggers etc. you are allowed to add strength by boxing but little else.

If you just plonk a big engine and trans in a car without cutting the body or chassis but upgrade the brakes and change the rear axle out but keep the suspension then you would have 2 points for original steering, 2 points for original suspension and 5 points for body/chassis therefore legal.

This is of course if you want to keep the original registration, if you don't care then cut it about as you wish, put in what you want, go for BIVA and get three years mot exemption to boot. With a full bodied car the only real issues would possibly be the front screen and internal items such as switch gear, clocks, seat belts and other radii, plus noise of exhaust and brake efficiency.

Fair bit more to all of this but possible to do at the moment.

Alternatively you can throw the BB towards me nice and cheap and I will save you all the hassle.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 02-04-18 at 12:09 PM.

Site Team
    You would be better of putting it in another Chevy Ross.

You could always do a rebody, basically find a chassis with all it's running gear that is the correct wheel base or as near as is possible, swap the bodies over and then do an engine and trans change, all legal and correct without the need for BIVA.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    I really fancy 'doing' a '55 Hillman Californian coupe. Overkill I know with a BBC but 'hung for sheep' etc etc.
    Last edited by roscobbc; 02-04-18 at 03:37 PM.

The only thing to check would be if the front screen is marked with the necessary markings to pass BIVA IF the worst happened, other than that why not, do the car as you want just in stages, engine and box change, if no alarm bells get set off you are good to go, if they insist on a viewing and they see the full tube chassis then off for BIVA, which would not be that difficult to achieve as most if not all the external radii would be ok so we would be back to braking efficiency, internal protrusions, switches, gauges etc. and seat belts.
    Unless stuffing a 671 out of the bonnet then line of sight would be fine.
    All this BIVA stuff currently is achievable however we are all waiting to see if the emissions levels are getting changed, if they stay as they are then most builds should be able to pass. It's a pain in the backside but does give us the opportunity to still build stuff, I am by no means a fan of it as having gone through it with a kit car I feel that alot is unnecessary given that the cars we build are not for commercial sale and not used (usually) as daily drivers.
    I actually know of a guy who converts brand new vans to accept wheel chair drivers and he has had a brand new Mercedes van fail because of the three pointed star in the centre of the steering wheel, which is standard on the Merc and even after complaining it still failed, so he had to cover the star with a piece of foam and some leather. That to me is why it is a bit crap, also they are not able to test peoples welds, so if you are crap at welding but good at grinding and filling and painting it will pass

And I got told off for talking BIVA

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    And I got told off for talking BIVA
    That was for scaremongering Have you booked your test yet

Personally asking for info I find ok but all the BS and bun fights about what if this or that happens and arguments (sorry discussions) about how legal something is or isn't should be left to the other channels jmhoo

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    THave you booked your test yet
    The test is still along way off....if I can even use the engine then!

Stuff a yaris three cylinder engine INSIDE the big block, no-one will ever know