Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Exhaust all cut about and just waiting for some clamps, should be here tomorrow. The quadrajet carb started to flood, took it apart but for some reason the float wouldl not shut off the fuel supply, took it apart again, think the float is knackard so removed it and fitted the leaking Holley (I knew it leaked just didn't get round to installing a new seal in the feed pipe). After a load of messing around it's now not leaking but the idle is a bit rough, really want to give it a blat to see how it all runs and maybe it will clear abit. I'm sure it's down to standing for so long and the crap fuel we use, going to have to use E5 to try to help things out for the future.

The eagle eyed yet again may have noticed something missing.

Well I didn't when painting the bits and pieces, so with no original paint left I found some old brilliant white 2k from when the daughter and her husband painted their merc motorhome a few years back, I know it will be a different shade but to be honest the way I sprayed the vette I can see different shades already so it will be in keeping with the rest of the car.
    Managed to get all the lights to illuminte and the indicators work as well, heater motor doesn't.
    Waiting on some wheel nuts, if they arrive in time I might put the C5 wheels on, if not then I need to get the tyres changed out for the original wheels and use them.

Progress was a bit slow but it was progress. The paint match on the fuel filler cap is way way out, apparently Merc Brilliant white is not so brilliant white, more a greyish blue tinged white.

These were the bits of exhaust I had to play around with, already cut in pieces but you get the gist.

and this is what I ended up using.

And if proof was needed it has finally vacated the garage.

up on ramps to finish the exhaust.

Still a bit to do

It will not be fully finished but if a test drive shows things are fine, steering and braking then it will make it to the nationals with a bit of luck and a following wind.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 06-08-22 at 08:00 PM.

Nothing photo worthy again, but the new wheel nuts arrived so thought I would fit the c5 wheels and tyres, all went well with the rear end but then the front wheels locked up when I tightened the nuts up, I was given a bum steer that I needed 2" wide spacers for the front when in fact I need 2.5" ones as a minimum. In fact I think matching the rear spacers would be better at 3" wide So now I am in the middle of removing the old tyres from the original alloys and fitting new tyres all round, not a major issue just a little more time lost.

With all of that the car should still make it, just need to do the tyres and fit the wheels tomorrow and if I get time I still have a side light that won't play ball, the heater motor doesn't work, nor does the rear screen defrost and I haven't tried the central locking but doubt that works either. On the plus side I jury rigged the wipers to work at one speed, the washers work and I eventually sorted out the correct vacuum hose routing for the headlight actuators so that they both go up when needed and down when not rather than one up one down then both down but the lights on. Yes a bit of trial and alot of error.

Great progress
    Hope to see you at the Nats.

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Great progress
    Hope to see you at the Nats.

My son in law gave a good hand today whilst I was at work, he cleaned up the interior, fitted the door cards, number plates and polished the wheels a little, plus re-painted the fuel cap, see if you can spot the difference?

Thought it better than a very off white, it will get painted white one day in the future.
    I taxed it today and it is insured from midnight tonight so tomorrow after it gets a quick wash it will hit the road for the first time in 10 years, excepting a run around a field a few years ago for the daughters wedding (no brakes then). First stop is a fuel station about 3 miles away, if no issues at that point then we are heading up the A1/M to old warden so fingers crossed. I do have a tow rope just in case and the others can eventually collect me when the set out later.
    This is how it is right now.

The cill plates are not on the car as yet as I got a bum steer on the bolt sizes, however, we painted the areas in satin black which takes your eye away from it and we are taking the covers with us as I am sure there will be someone selling bolts at the nationals and we can fit them there. The door seals have not been fitted, the blower motor still does not work but they can all be done as and when. Still loads of stuff that need doing in the future such as new door cards and the t top headliners need installing but again not urgent. I want to have a bit of fun and that comes down to driving it.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 11-08-22 at 10:32 PM.

It's a car