Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    If it makes you feel better - crap happens. En-route last Sunday in the Vette to the annual American and Hot Rod show at the Museum of Power, Maldon, Essex and with a dozen or so other Essex Vetteheads, had a major 'joust' with Tony and his Procharged C5Z06 and then (for me)..................zero oil pressure!
    Must have driven for a couple of miles (fortunately at cruising speed) before the sound of 'empty' lifters leads me to thinking to myself "I'm really going need to adjust the lifter clearances this weekend, they seem to be getting noisier by the minute" - the 'penny then dropped'. Suspect a detached oil pump pick-up or perhaps sheared oil pump drive............bastard thing. First year for a long while I'd actually managed to do some miles in the frigger! - it then took 5 hours to for 'low' recovery truck to arrive!
    Last edited by roscobbc; 06-09-18 at 09:45 PM.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    The main issue I see is that if you don't use these things on a regular basis then things just keep seizing up or breaking down, my fault really for leaving it stood for so long in the first place, just life got in the way of using it.

It did put a grin on my face when I was driving it and everyone including the "veggies" and the save the planet types thought it was great (that surprised me).

I need to get the brakes sorted and the indicators plus, as a minimum, paint that front nose then as you say uncle Fad a weekend away with the vette as their transport is what we will do.

On the day of the wedding with everything that went on plus having to drive some even older people to and from the venue, I was unable to have a drink till around 11pm but boy did I make up for lost time and was soon in a VERY happy state I can tell you that

If I find away of putting the video up I will just to show it did run well did doughnuts on the grass at any rate

Roscobbc: I hope your issues are not major and a new set of bearings, an oil pump and gaskets are all that you require to be up and running again

Well done At least everyone and every thing got to the venue. Looks like you had good weather to.
    Just don't wait another 5 years to sort it

Well after all the excitement of last year the car has sat untouched again since arriving back home, but I have another wedding to attend, this time as a guest but as my friend is a petrol head he wants the Vette to turn up to annoy some of the others (they don't understand the fasination with old loud gas gusseling cars). SOOOO Saturday I thought I had better take a look at the brake issue that stopped me from getting the old girl mot'd.

Ran her up and it is definately the brake servo, there are one or two different ones that fit the Vette so I thought the best way forward was to remove the said item and then I would know for sure what one to order up, what could possibly go wrong

Had a little ooglegoogle only to find that some people are complete KNOBS. One guy reconed he removed his one in 15 minutes start to finish BOLLOCKS mate no chance unless one of the nuts wasn't attached in the first place.

The best description came from one guy who said " first drag your knuckels over a load of tarmac and get the skin removed now before you start and do it anyway" Well that gave me a better understanding of what was to come. Basically there are four 9/16" nuts that hold the servo to the bulkhead, three of them are easy to do the fouth one, top left as looking from the inside, is an absolute bugger. I have many sockets skinny, deep, short etc. loads of swivel end extensions, universal joints, you name it I probably have it somewhere so using the wrong sockets is not the issue. This fourth nut is possibly the hardest nut to access on the whole of a manual C3 Corvette!!!!

So somewhere in this mess of wires, glassfibre and steel parts is the offending nut.

So out came the seat and the steering column and the dash clocks.

Still can't see the bugger

Then out with more bits of steel

Now lying on my back with torch in hand I finally get to see the thing BUT, still can't get a proper angle of attack, most of the time it's feel with eyes closed and after TWO plus hours I finally got the thing off.

Finger pointing to the offending stud that the nut was on, now I hear you all saying "what was the problem?" well the problem is Chevrolet did a crap job and should have off-set the damn thing so you could get to it easier!!!!!

One good thing was that this was all outside and because of the struggle I didn't feel the bloody cold. So now I will try to get hold of a new or rebuilt servo and have the fun of putting that nut back on ARRRGH!!!

Oh the rust is only surface but all the bits will be cleaned up and painted before refitting so the pedal assembly will be stripped next to start that process.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 18-03-19 at 07:52 PM.

OK so I've not been very active on this particular project and suffice to say that I didn't get the thing sorted for my friends wedding as once again life just got in the way.

So, the above photo's showed the extent of the rust to the pedal box but what it doesn't show is that the pedals were nigh-on seized solid, so as I waited for my new servo to arrive I decided to do something about them.

Firstly I disassembled the lot to find out what was needed and then I decided on a way forward for getting rid of the rust. Well, I saw somewhere that if you leave the metal bits in some brick cleaner then the rust will fall away as will any paint and all you need to do is remove from the brick acid, rinse off and prime and paint. With me so far this is where life got in the way I dropped the ofending items in a bucket of brick acid and put a lid on it as it does smell somewhat, however, I then left them in there for about a month!!!! Told you life gets in the way didn't I.

When I removed the bits from the now not so full bucket of acid, sure enough some areas were cleaner the bits that were no longer submerged (most of it) were rusty as hell.

To be fair this method would probably have been ok had I not left it so long anyway I then thought I would try electrolytic rust removal, by now it was a case of why not.

So armed with a plastic bucket nearly full of water, a bit of steel rod washing soda and a battery charger we set to and had a go, NO not having it BUGGER, the reason.......new battery chargers are "intelligent" basically the bloody thing couldn't see a battery connection so would not switch on to charge soooooo set to with said plastic bucket nearly full of water, steel rod, washing soda, battery charger, jump leads and a big old battery, all set up as below.

Something is happening

After a few hours we got this.

The results were not as good as I was hoping for but there again perhaps I should have left it in the bucket for another month, having said that it did soften up all the rust into a gunge that I could wipe off or scrape off but I was not totally impressed

So out came the wire wheel and finger file, probably should have started with them in the first place so after a while doing the necessary we end up with some rattle can primer and black painted bits plus new plastic bushes and pedal rubbers.

Then back together

Not brilliant as I really should have got my spray gun out and used some high build primer to get better results as the metalwork is pitted and that would have made a much nicer job of things as well as using 2k topcoat but I just wanted to complete something for a change.

Now all I need to do is clean up all the supporting steelwork, which is not too bad, give those bits some paint and I can start to put stuff back on the car.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have let the brick acid option carry on for so long, perhaps a day or two would have yielded better results, when using the electrolytic option I perhaps should have left that for a couple of days or really I should have just sent the bits away for shot blasting but bear in mind this was all done outside over Christmas, oh apart from the rattle can spraying but here is a word of warning, DON'T GET CAUGHT OUT BY YOUR OTHER HALF, I sprayed the items in the house (it's all open plan) and she came home earlier than I expected, she was not best pleased with the aroma

A bit more done...
    If your not building a show car do you really need to have the metal that smooth?
    Just get it back on the road and use it

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    A bit more done...
    If your not building a show car do you really need to have the metal that smooth?
    Just get it back on the road and use it
    You are correct, but as I have the gear I just think it is lazy of me not to do it, however, I really couldn't be bothered getting everything ready and the place warmed up enough to do it so rattle can it was

This has never been a show car and never will be, just something to put a grin on my face, Just stripped down the carb and will post a bit up when I get it back together, who knew there were so many bits to a holley?

Had a bit of spare time today so thought I would have a go at cleaning up and rebuilding the Holley carb that we basically threw on when the quadrajet gave us a load of issues.

The Holley also gave issues such as a bit of a leak, however, it worked long enough to do the job we wanted but was always going to need new gaskets etc. as to my personal knowledge this carb has been on three different engines in my ownership and it was bought secondhand over 25 years ago!!!

So stripped it down as far as I was willing, I left the butterfly screws in place as I didn't want to disturb them, the front metering plate was stuck on like the proverbial to a blanket and had to be gently persuaded with a mallet, the rest was plain sailing but it is surprising how many bits are in a basic 4 barrel Holley.

So at this point I thought I would give soda blasting ago Never having done it but looked on oogoolegoogle and found out what I needed for the job and set about. I haven't a photo of the set up but it is very basic and there are loads of posts on the internet if you are that interested.

The results were not that bad BUT be warned when they tell you it is messy they are not wrong, the garage got covered in it as did I and I used about 2kg's of soda just to do the main body and the butterfly plate areas. On reflection I would not do this again but either opt for a sonic bath that can take the main body of the Holley or send it to a proffessional, the stuff gets everywhere. On the plus side it is not harmful to anything, me or the environment, and is washed away with just water. I was going to post a photo of the mess but it rained just as I had finished and now there is no trace

So this is the before shot of the base plate.

And the after shots.

Now just need to start to rebuild it and see if I have any bits left over afterwards
    Last edited by stilltrying; 16-01-20 at 04:55 PM.