Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Well it would appear that the rebuild I did on the holley was not that good:down: I got a full rebuild kit that was as cheap as chips and now I find out why.

Main issue was fuel leaking from the bolts that hold the float bowls on to the main body, the supplied washers, which look like they were made from a formica type material, just would not seal and fuel kept on draining down, then the needle valves for the fuel inlets were not seating properly and would not stop fuel even when they were turned all the way down.

So I removed the new needle valves and fitted the old ones back in and I fitted copper washers to the float bowl holding bolts, which at the time of writing were doing the job.

Firing the engine back up and it ran a bit better, at least number one was firing, but I used my laser thermometer to see what was happening to the exhausts and a number of them were cooler than the rest.
    Whilst looking down the carb with part throttle it would appear that one side of the carb is getting loads of fuel whilst the other side isn't showing any signs of fuel getting in, so I'm going to have to strip it down again and see if some crap has got in there somehow.

The plus side is it runs better and I drove it round the garden, the brakes worked but could be better and I still have to do the timing correctly. I might even put the seat back in

Got a phone call out of the blue from a mate of mine I hadn't spoken to for about 6 months, he was just bored and checking to see what was happening my end with the lockdown, obviously got round to what we were doing to our cars and I told him about the window to which he said I might have one, don't hold your breath but I will look next time I'm up the barn, well bugger me he sent a message with a photo attached showing the glass and a caption "I'ts your lucky day"

Woohooo, so after the lockdown at least I will have all the glass, have no idea why he had one but will ask next time I see him.

Well nothing much has changed on the Vette for a while, still no side glass but not that worried as I know I will get one at some point.

If you remember I tried getting it ready for my eldest daughters wedding and was going to let them use it but the night beforehand the brake booster failed and so couldn't get it MOT'd and wasn't happy for them to drive it with the brakes nearly none existent, so driving duties were done by your's truly.

Anyway someone did take a video of us hooning around a bit so hopefully, as I have just been shown how to up load videos, there should follow a snippet of what was going on. Sorry for the commentary, don't know who they were.
    https://youtu.be/gF3FLrxYofU

Still messing around with the vette. Trying to get the Quadrajet working as it should but it is fighting me at the moment. I removed the Holley because it would not stop leaking, the main body is warped or so it would seem, so on went the old Quadrajet that also leaked fuel, now sorted that problem but it just doesn't want to run nice and it is predominantly down to the carb tuning, however, today it got really hot but the radiator was stone cold bugger!!! let it cool down a bit and removed the top hose and the pressure cap, blew down the hose and water gushed out of the rad cap opening, so no blockage, so then removed the thermostat and that was shut like a duck backside, took it in doors and put it in boiling water and no movement. So now need to get a thermostat and hope that it hasn't done any head gasket damage. Fingers crossed.

Good news on the over heating, no damage as yet but haven't taken it for a good drive but had it ticking over for about 10 minutes without issue with it's new thermostat.

In other news the brakes have been giving some grief, there is a proportioning valve that has a system whereby if one of the brake lines looses pressure then a valve slides one way or the other and stops fluid going to the low pressure side of things, at the same time it pops a switch that alerts the driver there is a problem with a light on the dash, well after replacing one of the rear calipers I had loads of trouble bleeding the system as one of the bleed nipples on one of the rear calipers snapped off!!!! I ended up splitting two calipers in two (I already had a knackard caliper with a broken bleed nipple from a previous braking issue), and re-using one half with the good bleed nipple from one and the other half from the other to make one good caliper, refitted and bled the system but the proportioning valve was now stuck and no amount of hard braking was resetting it, so had to dis-assemble it to get rid of some crap that was in there from years of neglect and re-bleed the whole system again but now have a solid brake pedal and the proportioning valve has been reset. Result.

In other news I stripped the Quadrajet once again and found to my embarrassment that I had fitted the power piston, that has a small tab on it, under rather than on top a seasting area, this prevented the carb from working properly, I had to look through loads of youtube video's to find out where it should be placed before finding one that actually showed this part of the carb, they are not all identical so needed to find one that was exactly the same, it now idles and picks up speed nearly as it should. I say nearly as I still need to give it some beans on a journey to find out if there is any hesitation under load.

All in all I think progress is being made but still have things to do just to drive it again, such as fit the passenger window I have, replace the headlight actuator seals, refit the drivers seat now that the brakes are done and spray the front nose where I twatted it years ago. and next year now, give it a full on re-spray.

Bit more done...now what about the T

Lots of good news on the Vette then.

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Bit more done...now what about the T
    Stick that tongue back in........Trying to concentrate on the Vette so I can have a bit of fun, but have bought a few fittings and started to assemble the torsion bar set up, hopefully will get a bit more pre load on it. I would like to aim for a rolling chassis before Christmas. SORRY for mentioning that word so soon, I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Lots of good news on the Vette then.
    Well it certainly is going in the right direction.

Removed the headlight vacuum actuators today to fit new seals as one of the headlights was really slow to lift and would not light all the way. Should have them working correctly by the weekend if work doesn't get in the way.

Sorted the headlight actuators all but a tiny bit of adjustment to do on the drivers side one which sits a bit proud when shut, not a big issue.

So this is one of the vacuum actuators.

This is it pulled apart.

The main seal that is replaceable is on the shaft and in the casing, the diaphragm in the unit is not replaceable so the first test is to see if it is damaged, this is done by blocking off the vacuum port and seeing if the shaft can be either pulled out or pushed in, if this is ok then it's a good chance just changing the shaft seal will sort them out.

This is the component parts, vacuum unit, shaft, seal, seal retaining ring and the dust cover.

These are the two seals I removed, can you guess which one is not so good?

And finally gave them both a bit or rattle can satin black to try to stop them from completely rusting away.

Next task, I broke the headlight switch so have to procure one of them, already looked at a few places but some say their part fits my vehicle but from the photo's they have I can see it is not correct so a few emails are going back and forth to the states to ensure I get one that will work. I might even have a go at the wipers, I remembered only today that years ago I had to bodge them up to work, so think I will see what is needed to get them back to normal.

Headlight switch arrived and was not the correct fitment (even after emails to try to make sure), so stripped my old one and the new one to get one to work, all done. Not worth a photo it is a switch after all and I think you all know what one of those is.