Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    If it makes you feel better - crap happens. En-route last Sunday in the Vette to the annual American and Hot Rod show at the Museum of Power, Maldon, Essex and with a dozen or so other Essex Vetteheads, had a major 'joust' with Tony and his Procharged C5Z06 and then (for me)..................zero oil pressure!
    Must have driven for a couple of miles (fortunately at cruising speed) before the sound of 'empty' lifters leads me to thinking to myself "I'm really going need to adjust the lifter clearances this weekend, they seem to be getting noisier by the minute" - the 'penny then dropped'. Suspect a detached oil pump pick-up or perhaps sheared oil pump drive............bastard thing. First year for a long while I'd actually managed to do some miles in the frigger! - it then took 5 hours to for 'low' recovery truck to arrive!
    Last edited by roscobbc; 06-09-18 at 09:45 PM.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    The main issue I see is that if you don't use these things on a regular basis then things just keep seizing up or breaking down, my fault really for leaving it stood for so long in the first place, just life got in the way of using it.

It did put a grin on my face when I was driving it and everyone including the "veggies" and the save the planet types thought it was great (that surprised me).

I need to get the brakes sorted and the indicators plus, as a minimum, paint that front nose then as you say uncle Fad a weekend away with the vette as their transport is what we will do.

On the day of the wedding with everything that went on plus having to drive some even older people to and from the venue, I was unable to have a drink till around 11pm but boy did I make up for lost time and was soon in a VERY happy state I can tell you that

If I find away of putting the video up I will just to show it did run well did doughnuts on the grass at any rate

Roscobbc: I hope your issues are not major and a new set of bearings, an oil pump and gaskets are all that you require to be up and running again

Well done At least everyone and every thing got to the venue. Looks like you had good weather to.
    Just don't wait another 5 years to sort it

Well after all the excitement of last year the car has sat untouched again since arriving back home, but I have another wedding to attend, this time as a guest but as my friend is a petrol head he wants the Vette to turn up to annoy some of the others (they don't understand the fasination with old loud gas gusseling cars). SOOOO Saturday I thought I had better take a look at the brake issue that stopped me from getting the old girl mot'd.

Ran her up and it is definately the brake servo, there are one or two different ones that fit the Vette so I thought the best way forward was to remove the said item and then I would know for sure what one to order up, what could possibly go wrong

Had a little ooglegoogle only to find that some people are complete KNOBS. One guy reconed he removed his one in 15 minutes start to finish BOLLOCKS mate no chance unless one of the nuts wasn't attached in the first place.

The best description came from one guy who said " first drag your knuckels over a load of tarmac and get the skin removed now before you start and do it anyway" Well that gave me a better understanding of what was to come. Basically there are four 9/16" nuts that hold the servo to the bulkhead, three of them are easy to do the fouth one, top left as looking from the inside, is an absolute bugger. I have many sockets skinny, deep, short etc. loads of swivel end extensions, universal joints, you name it I probably have it somewhere so using the wrong sockets is not the issue. This fourth nut is possibly the hardest nut to access on the whole of a manual C3 Corvette!!!!

So somewhere in this mess of wires, glassfibre and steel parts is the offending nut.

So out came the seat and the steering column and the dash clocks.

Still can't see the bugger

Then out with more bits of steel

Now lying on my back with torch in hand I finally get to see the thing BUT, still can't get a proper angle of attack, most of the time it's feel with eyes closed and after TWO plus hours I finally got the thing off.

Finger pointing to the offending stud that the nut was on, now I hear you all saying "what was the problem?" well the problem is Chevrolet did a crap job and should have off-set the damn thing so you could get to it easier!!!!!

One good thing was that this was all outside and because of the struggle I didn't feel the bloody cold. So now I will try to get hold of a new or rebuilt servo and have the fun of putting that nut back on ARRRGH!!!

Oh the rust is only surface but all the bits will be cleaned up and painted before refitting so the pedal assembly will be stripped next to start that process.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 18-03-19 at 07:52 PM.