Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Assume with that lot to do you've got a couple of weeks off work
    Good luck
    Wish I did but I have to keep working till Wednesday and the wedding is a week tomorrow.

The to do list has shortened a little today.
    Fit the radiator Done
    Plumb all the water hoses Done
    Sort out what vacuum hoses are still needed for the carb and blank off those no longer required (I removed the air pump completely) Done I think
    New oil Filter and Oil Done
    Prime the engine Done
    Fit the distributor Done
    Fit the new Plug leads
    Refit the plugs Done
    Reinstall the wiring in the engine bay Mostly Done
    Refit the passenger door
    Get the electric windows to work
    Fit the carpeting
    Fit the seats
    Make up and fit centre console side panels
    Fit the door cards
    Fit the battery
    Fit the remainder of the exhaust system (only headers fitted at the moment)
    Replace the two rear tyres
    Sort out the steering column (could be the deal breaker as the indicator stalk fell off)
    Bleed the braking system
    Refit the bonnet
    Test drive
    Get it MOT'd

Sorry still no photo's but will add some when I can sort out this bloody computer thing.

Today I thought I was in for a full day on the car but then got ordered to collect the youngest daughter, so set out for Brighton at 8am and didn't get back till gone 2pm, the journey down was fine the way home was a mare. The M25 is just a bloody joke these days, anyway,

I connected the battery up and threw some fuel down the carb like you do then turned the key ZIp, nothing not even a click from the solenoid Bugger bugger bugger, checked the wires on the starter motor and all looked fine, followed them back as far as I could and all still looked fine, then grovelled upside down in the drivers footwell, well after about an hour I finally found the culprit, the Vette had a clutch operated switch built in from the factory but someone in it's history decided to disconnect it and bridge the two contacts with a piece of wire and one of the ends had come adrift, I have no time to see if the original switch is ok so it is bodged as before for the moment.

So a bit more fuel in the carb throat and turn the key, this time the engine turned over but sluggish like a flat battery so out with the jump leads and try again but exactly the same, bugger again, so off came the starter motor and when I opened it up it was just really grubby so cleaned everything up, brushes and stator etc. gave it some lube and a bit of copper slip in the bearing end and refitted.

Back to where we were one and a half hours previously, more petrol down the carb and turn the key, this time it spun over as I remembered it used to and it fired, threw more fuel in the carb and tried again then again then again then again, well you get the picture, it fired each time ran for as short while then stopped. This was unusual for this car, used to leave it for a few days and it wouldn't start so did exactly what I have done and fuel soon gets pumped from the tank to the carb but not this time.

Eldest daughters boyfriend came round and we started to investigate the fuel system, very long story shortened, the rubber pipe that connects the outlet pipe from the top of the tank to the hard fuel line to the front was perished and instead of sucking fuel up and out of the tank it was drawing in air. Replaced this short bit of pipe and started again. More fuel down the carb and turn the key, did this two maybe three times and then fuel poured out of the carb all over the place, bugger again!!!!!!!

Took the top of the Rochester and checked the float and needle valve, all seemed good but as I had a complete rebuild kit we decided to fit the new needle valve and seat as a precaution and fitted a new top gasket and tried again (those Rochesters are tricky little things arn't they), this time just turned the key and away it went, hooraaay!!!!!!, switched it off and fuel continued to flood the carb and piss out from the new gasket BUGGERRRRRRRRR!!!

That was it, I had managed to work out what vacuum pipes etc. were not needed, got it running and then it does that so it was removed and I bunged on a 650 cfm holley that hadn't been on a car for over 15 years, slapped it on, connected it up and turned the key, fired up within two turns of the engine, brilliant!!!!! BUGGER fuel poured out from the tube that goes between the front and rear float bowels, the rubbers were as hard as anything, so removed the front bowel put in a couple of new rubber "O" rings and tried again, fired up great and ran reasonably well considering we have no idea what the original application that this carb was used for.

We set the floats up but using the idle screws does nothing to alter the speed or idle of the engine so that will eventually need looking at but for now it starts, runs and doesn't pour petrol everywhere On the down side the thermostat housing is leaking so that will be a job for tomorrow.

Before it got too dark we also managed to hang the passenger door back on, needs fettling but it is there at least.

The to do list is has the following:
    Fit the new Plug leads
    Reinstall the wiring in the engine bay (still a few wires that I can't find homes for)
    Get the electric windows to work
    Fit the carpeting
    Fit the seats
    Fit the door cards
    Fit the remainder of the exhaust system (only headers fitted at the moment)
    Replace the two rear tyres
    Sort out the steering column (could be the deal breaker as the indicator stalk fell off)
    Bleed the braking system
    Refit the bonnet
    Test drive
    Get it MOT'd

Hopefully more will get done tomorrow.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 14-07-18 at 10:45 PM.

Had the same prob with a 2 barrel carb, never did find out what caused it

Sounds like your getting there though , fingers crossed for your finish date

The to do list is has taken a bit of a turn, still left:

Reinstall the wiring in the engine bay (still a few wires that I can't find homes for)
    Get the electric windows to work. Passenger one is shorted out, drivers one now ok so passenger window is in the down position, hope it doesn't rain
    Fit the carpeting
    Fit the seats

Sort out the steering column (could be the deal breaker as the indicator stalk fell off) Column back together but indicators are an issue still
    Now the brand new, albeit old stock water pump has decided to make some horrible noises, so the old pump will have to go back on.

Refit the bonnet
    Test drive
    Get it MOT'd

Not given up yet but a plan B is in the offing, not what the bride wants but better than the Suburban or the Skoda

Got to collect middle daughter from Heathrow at 7.45am and then go to work so time really is running out fast. Oh and I found yet another bloody rat long since dead thankfully, that makes the fouth one in this car.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 17-07-18 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Sort out the steering column (could be the deal breaker as the indicator stalk fell off) Column back together but indicators are an issue still.
    You're old enough to remember hand signals
    I hope all goes well and you get it all done,going to be a close run thing though....

my goodness! sounds like youre making tremendous progress...woulda taken me 2 years to get that done!

welcome to aftermarket stuff : in re earlier post about fit issues. cant imagine the prob on the headers tho...except that theyre headers.

strng column ; not conversant with that late of a model, but doesnt the stalk just screw in? historically, theres a plastic 'cam' inside the column below all the horn mechanism as I remember that breaks; I had to do that little job on my 70 years ago. Memory says the part is NLA from Chevrolet tho... but the column on your car is different, so you might be ok.

Ive got a spare window motor, just run over after work to pick it up and you can have it...