Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Well as promised here are some photo's of the engine removal, this did not go exactly to plan and when reinstalling I will have to think of another system, all will become clear honest.

Just removed the bonnet

After removing the plastic snorkel intake tube it was obvious that this engine had been out before as it looks suspiciously like whoever dropped the engine on the radiator support frame, not a big issue and will be beaten to within an inch of it's life back into shape.

Radiator, air con rad and radiator support were removed next.

This is what happens when you leave your car in the garden for a few years

It became very obvious very quickly that my engine crane was not the ideal piece of kit for removing an engine from a corvette, I had even thought of removing the front nose to gain some much needed movement rearwards, however this was not going to help one little bit so a bodge was in order and a lot of jacking up letting down, removing wheels and axle stands ensued for the next half an hour.

and finally we have it out and on the engine stand

The clutch was well past it's sell by date, not helped by a little bit of oil contamination which will need further investigation, the flywheel is in good shape and the release bearing is buggered.

The final issue I had was attaching the engine to the engine stand, it was like one of those metal puzzles you used to get a christmas time, not overly impressed with it to be honest, I did have the big block mopar on it for sometime and it was fine but it only just fits the small block, I nearly gave up on it but at the end of the day it is now on there, just hope it stays there

So finally got something done, but will be thinking of a different way of getting the thing back in, two A frames and a beam would be the easiest method but I don't have one to hand so will have to conjure up something else.

Site Team
    Surprised that you had trouble with the engine stand and a SBC.
    Amazing how much that had deteriorated!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumpcars View Post
    Surprised that you had trouble with the engine stand and a SBC.
    Amazing how much that had deteriorated!
    You and me both on both items, the stand is the heavy duty one so thought that would be no issues heyho it's on there now just not as secure as I think it should be.

The deterioration must have been from the car cover, it was a proper outdoor breathable one, won't be using one of those again that is for sure.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    You need to use an extended reach engine crane on Vettes. Imagine how much more difficult it is with a big block!

These days, seeing an engine looking so sad would deflate me. I know its just cosmetic but the work it takes to make it look good, is not trivial. I spent 6 weeks smoothing and painting the block on the T.

Credit to you though, you are getting it done. Dad comes through again, and so we should.....
    Last edited by fad15; 19-04-18 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    You need to use an extended reach engine crane on Vettes. Imagine how much more difficult it is with a big block!
    I know you do but that is the only crane I have, however I have a cunning plan for the reinstall but will have to get the lad involved to guide it home as I will be driving the JCB, that has enough reach

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    These days, seeing an engine looking so sad would deflate me. I know its just cosmetic but the work it takes to make it look good, is not trivial. I spent 6 weeks smoothing and painting the block on the T.

Credit to you though, you are getting it done. Dad comes through again, and so we should.....
    It does look sad but as most of it will be largely hidden I will give it a clean and some black paint (yes I know it should be blue but I am going black). Plus the shiny bits and it will go back in, it ran very well and as it will never be a drag car or race car I think with the upgrades it will be ok on the street and keep up with most of the traffic

Site Team
    Yeah it certainly looks like it has sweated.

Not much happened today, as the lads car needed some attention which took me away from the vette, but I did strip off the exhausts, inlet manifold and other bits and pieces and managed to degrease it and throw some paint on, I used etching primer for the base and then just a black gloss rattle can for the top coat. Not going to last long I have no doubt but I still haven't sorted out a compressor.

On other news, I have just bought a second hand complete exhaust with headers that came of a 74 vette so hopefully with that and the other two sets of headers I have I might just get an exhaust to fit that doesn't scrape the ground. (I bought a set of stainless headers from a guy who said they were on a vette for about 20 miles and then removed, think they may have been a bit low).

One other thing was that when I removed the rocker covers and the inlet manifold, the inside of the engine looked nice and clean more tomorrow hopefully plus some photo's.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    C3 chassis is of the day - I.e 'flexible' - creaking when the T tops are in place is normal. Remove T tops and loose the creaking.