Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Site Team
    Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    C3 chassis is of the day - I.e 'flexible' - creaking when the T tops are in place is normal. Remove T tops and loose the creaking.
    The one I referred to had a special reason for creaking Ross. It was called 'detached kickup syndrome'.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    A bit done today but not as much as hoped due to not being able to find some of the gaskets I know I have somewhere (my garage is a major tip so only me to blame).

Here is the next engine crane.

Surprised this still worked as well as it did.

The outside was not pretty but the inside was looking a whole lot better

I had a few sets of rocker covers that I bought a long time ago (20 plus years) for another project so I dug them out and plonked them on, sort of liked both then realised that one set was for a very early chevy where the oil filler is a tube sticking up from the front of the inlet manifold so will be going with the set that I can fill oil easily, will need to source a couple of oil filler caps but hopefully that won't be an issue.

The pile of scrap is getting bigger

The eagle eyed amongst you might have noticed that the inlet manifold is sprayed silver, something I didn't realise when I bought it off ebay.com, anyway I will probably get it vapour blasted which should return it to it's natural state.

Although things are getting fitted I now realise that some of the stuff I have bought will not fit, such as the gilmer drive for the alternator, so I will now have to source a twin groove water pump pulley.

On the up side, after fitting the ali timing cover I noticed that the original water pump would need spacers to miss the timing cover, however in my pile of parts bought years ago was a new water pump, this by fluke fitted without modification

Off on a silly round trip tomorrow to collect the exhaust so nothing will get done for a short while. I do have a couple of questions for those in the know but will post in the tech area.
    That's all for now.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    All inlet manifolds seem to be spayed silver - it helps to disguise how poor the sand casting is visually - lets hope there hasn't been core shifts and the inlet ports are correctly aligned.

No works as such but I collected the second hand exhaust yesterday and I will have to fit the mild steel headers and not the stainless steel ones.

The exhaust I have just collected came off a 74 L82 manual car so I know it will fit and will not scrape on the ground, I placed the shiny stainless headers next to the steel ones and they are the best part of 3" lower then the steel ones but at least I know.

The stainless steel ones were supposedly fitted to a vette, must have been driven really slowly not to hit the road with them.

Anyway the steel ones have been coated in some sort of heat resisting coating and are in excellent condition so I will paint them in HT paint to spruce them up a little before I fit them.

Bank holiday weekend so how was progress I hear you ask eeerrrrrrr no progress at all really. I did receive my gasket set just before the weekend so I thought I would have the engine all nicely buttoned up except the inlet and the carb. The inlet is getting vapour blasted and probably won't be ready till next week and I still need to check out the carb situation.

So I decided to replace the rear main oil seal, fairly easy job to be honest but I then thought I would do as suggested by MJ and have a quick look at the big end bearings, well I think I will be changing the crank and big end bearings as a precaution, the main bearings look to be ok but the big ends are well worn. I wasn't expecting this as the oil pressure has always been very good infact high if the gauge is to be believed.

So who knows what the markings on the main cap bearing and the big end bearings mean?

Bugger!!! for some reason my pc and the camera are having a bit of a tizzy.

On the back of the main bearing shell it has the following:

001 US
    an A in a circle followed by GM
    A.200
    3 78

The big end bearing has the following:

an A in a circle followed by GM
    A.200
    3 78

I haven't googled anything yet as I am absolutely knackard from working on the house roof in this heat today (stupid idea given I'm bald and don't possess a hat of any type).

do NOT quote me, as I dont KNOW and havent researched it, but it looks to me like your bearings may be marked .020 under... The engine has obviously been into before, evidenced by the double row timing chain if nothing else. best advice is to get the micrometer out and check journal size.
    [sorry if i caused all this extra trouble and expense...]

Engine now even further dismantled as the machine shop need the crank to measure what bearings are needed as the numbers mean very little to them on the plus side all the bearings were the same size which might sound odd but reading what GM do for clearances as well as other people it's nice to know.

So now we wait yet again.

Been away for a few days with the other half and was not expecting anything relating to the vette but got a phone call today to say that the machine shop I have taken the crank and bearings to can't help out rather miffed as this lot have been doing engine cranks, rebores etc. since the year dot and I have had a couple of 351 Fords bored and crank ground by them in the past so thought this would be easy, but apparently not. So now I have to find somewhere else that can supply the bearings, my future looks like a load of phone calls in the morning

Hows the car coming along. Surprised about those bearings, would have thought they would have been easy to find considering how long those engines have been around, and they must be the most popular v8 out there.

Not much further on as yet Captain, work is unusually getting in the way of doing car stuff (I kid you not).

I managed to take the crank and shells to a place that knew what they were doing, not a machine shop though They sussed out what is what and apparently at the factory when engines were been assembled if the crank was slightly out they would adjust by using non standard bearings as required, I thought this was strange but on a few american sites this is spoken about so I have to give the benefit of the doubt. Anyway the up shot is that the main bearings are standard size, however the big ends are .0005" over sized, this is a problem as you are not able to buy .0005" over sized bearings from anywhere, not even GM!!!!! I can get .001" over size apparently but just putting them in could create issues.

I have been given a company name in Cambridge that is highly recommended so if work allows I will be going there to see what they can do, probably end up getting it ground

On the plus side the inlet manifold has come back from vapour blasting, I thought that all they had done was sprayed it silver, can't believe the basic manifold was that SILVER!!!! but then I looked at the other fittings and sure enough it has been blasted and that is the natural colour.

OH well I would have loaded a photo but something won't allow me to do it and I am no teccy and I did switch it off and on again but it still didn't work, so either the site doesn't like me of the lapustoppus is buggered.