Thread: Oil filters

Might as well be part of the furniture.

Oil filters

The 350 chevy in the vette had a purolator L20049 oil filter fitted, I had no issues with this at anytime and believe that it was fitted at the time the engine was rebuilt before I took ownership (Obvious the engine has been rebuilt from the markings on the end and mains caps plus it was nice and clean inside).

So I will need a new filter but what one to get, I might just go for another of the above but is there a better make and model?

I have heard horror stories about Fram filters so will be steering clear of them but any first hand experience for other makes and models would be appreciated.

Site Team
    For many years I swore by Fram but the horror stories put me off. I switched to K&N, either short or long depending upon application, and am more than happy with them. A guy on the NSRA recently had trouble with threads on them but never really got to the bottom of the issue, it was a strange one. Never heard any other complaints.

I've just used a Wix filter on the 460, seems OK. Have got a K&N for the new motor though.

Personally, I use Purolator One[s] on my stuff, but thats just me. Lots of folk, and many racers, I know swear by Wix.
    Any of the major brands should be fine ; the question is, 'where is it made'? One can purchase AC Delco filters that are made in red china! In this age of screwed up 'global economy' BS, you hafta check every single product...so Id say you can use any good quality, 'name brand' that you can obtain with reasonable ease, but check to see where that particular unit/part number is manufactured first.

Cheers everyone, went to place an order with rockauto this evening but it didn't go to plan, every item I wanted had to be shipped from a different location and thereby more postage costs. I've given up tonight as a bit knackard but why do they make it so difficult to add stuff from one location I don't mind paying a few quid more for an item so long as it is shipped altogether and from the same place and arrives here at the same time.

And back to the topic of thi thread, Fram filters are the most expensive ones they do, Wix was cheap and even the Bosch one I was going to go for was cheaper.