Newbie (well to here at least)

Your most significant memory

Just like the title says.

For me, it was going to my first show. As a teenager, I was acquiring copies of magazines from the newsagent where I did a paper round; Hot Car, Street Machine, Custom Car, and Hot Rod and Custom. But it was not until I went to my first proper show that I realised what the whole scene was really about.

I can't remember the year but would guess around 1982/3, but I do know the club and venue. It was the Pilgrim Roadsters show at the local rugby club. I'm sure somewhere at my parents there must stil be a box of print photographs.

Over to you...

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Welcome Mr Dunxster.

Not to be pedantic, but do you mean ones most significant memory about cars in general, or, in the case of most forum members I reckon, the one that got them interested in American cars/hot rods/drag racing. Or just our most significant memory? If the latter, that would, for me, be the time LaDawn and I went to...ahem, uh, um, anyway...moving right along...
    For me, the most significant car memory would probably be when I walked out of the hospital at 3 days old and climbed into my parents 58 Pontiac. Distinctly remember looking around and thinking 'whats this thing? Pretty cool...think I like it...' For me the interest in cars in general and interest in American cars intersect naturally.
    Seriously tho, I cant remember ever NOT being interested in cars and racing; its genetic I think. 'Car' was my fourth word. Started buying my own car magazines with my allowance when I was 5. But I do vividly remember the first drag race I ever attended; I was 4 almost 5 years old and my parents had just bought a new 64 Impala from Wilkerson Chevrolet in Tulsa. I dont remember everything from the day, but I remember going with my dad and our friend David B. I can close my eyes and see one particular contest; there was a new 64 Impala - not sure which engine, but the romantic in me wants to think it was a 409 -in that lovely darker [of the 2 available] shade of turquoise lined up against a mint green 56 Pontiac. The Chevrolet was victorious, no doubt due in part to my loud and manic cheering and willing it on...

And kindly dig those photos out Mr Dunxster and share them here, wouldya?
    Last edited by malamute john; 08-08-18 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typos...

See, Fads meanderings, page; well in the first few.

In similar vein as above, it's all in the beginnings of 'Stiffs Memoirs'.

Newbie (well to here at least)
    I was thinking along the lines of car-related memories.

If it was everything else it could easily get very messy.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    First significant car memory was being with the rest of the family stuffed in to Grandpa's model Y Ford 8 - and getting stuck halfway up Market Hill Maldon with a failed fuel pump, waiting for an uncle to come and fix the car.
    Second significant memory was taking a ride in Grandpa's friend, Mr Dix's beige Austin Somerset and colliding with a large German Shepherd dog that ran out in front of us.
    Third significant memory was standing outside our house on a Saturday and Sunday evenings with my father standing outside the house and learning the sounds of all the different cars (and counting them) as they returned back from a day at Burnham on Crouch passing our house back to where ever they they came from. The very 'special' sound was always that of the big 4 banger engine of the 1920's Bentley open tourer from the local garage owner on a 'open' pipe. He would take advantage of the deserted country roads in the evening for a high speed 'blast'. On a still night you'd hear that for miles.
    Fourth significant memory, and one that probably got me 'into' V8's (remembering that I was only about 5 or 6 and this was the mid 1950's) was the lift we got when I visited the family's solicitor in Romford with my mother. He gave us a lift to the railway station in a Ford Pilot (which was I guess probably less than five years old) Even at that age I was entranced how smooth and quiet the car was.
    Fifth memory, (and rolling forward some seven or eight years - and this would have been early 1960's - having just started senior school) was as a passenger in a school friends brothers 1930's Morris 8. Bowling down Warley Hill, 'flat-out' at what seemed an incredible speed of 60 mph (or was it 70 - can't remember) I do remember the little Morris bouncing about all over the place.
    Sixth and final 'early' car memory was my parents first car. A seven year old Hillman Californian 2 door coupe finished in cream with a red top and interior. Even though Dad didn't have the health to drive he had a great 'eye' for a stylish car!
    Forgot to mention that my grandparents in my early days on this planet only lived about 4 or 5 miles away in a tiny shiplap cottage. I remember them having milk, bread, newspapers and groceries delivered in a 1920's Morris 'Bullnose' open tourer.
    Forgot to mention when on holiday from the local infant school going with a friend and his dad in a tipper lorry, possibly a Thames Trader delivering building materials to Bradwell Nuclear power power station when it was being built...
    Last edited by roscobbc; 10-08-18 at 06:10 PM.