Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Humanity only has so much left. These semantics are only going to deflect from the real problem.

Some of us know what the real problem is and to be quite honest, we are at ease with it.

A car meet is not really that important, so maybe take a back seat and watch the show...........................

It symbolised the willingness to fight for kith and kin and defence of the homeland.

This says it all
    Last edited by fad15; 15-04-19 at 06:34 PM.

Site Team
    Ain't that the truth.

Yet another bunch of promoters panicking at the thought of not making huge profits.

People fought and died in wars to protect a so called democracy.

No democracy left just more and more propoganda and people teling us what we think and believe.

Remember Big Brother never happened in 1984 or did it?

I too am not as eloquent as you Mr Incubator but fully agree with your sentiments
    Last edited by V8Rumble; 15-04-19 at 09:30 PM.

of the Croydon Teds
    Sent an e-mail to Tom Ingram (Viva Las Vegas), Jerry Chatabox (Atomic and Rockabilly Rave), Robin and Colette Weathersbee (Rhythm Riot) and Guille at Rockin' Race last night. Much the same as what I posted in the beginning, only with swearing removed and a couple of extra paragraphs thrown in. I did leave an RSVP on the premise that they were in a win-win situation; either they're right and I'm wrong and they can demonstrate how so - I'd be grateful for the enlightenment - or they accept that they're ban is wrong and they rescind it an issue a public apology. Whichever path they choose, they end up in the right - unless, of course, they just chuck my laboriously constructed message into the recycling bin.

Reading some of the social media comments would be entertaining if only people didn't actually believe the drivel they write.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Bloor on Atomic's Facebook
    I just cannot understand why you traditionalists are bothered about banning a flag that now, right now, stands for hatred, racism, anti semitism, neo Nazism, white supremacy, oppression, far right extremism, segregation, death and fear. Who cares what it used to stand for? It's now that's important. I applaud all these festivals for making this stand. And that doesn't make me or the rest of us doing so a 'snowflake'. It makes us decent human beings. Wake up and smell the coffee and look around you at what's happening in the world.
    Sarah could have a promising future as an MP.

Meanwhile, the only black commentator I've found thus far weighs in with the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Rck on Rockabilly Rave's Facebook
    Iv been a Rockabilly for 30yrs now! & a Huge contribution to getting me on the scene was the people. I walked into a Rockabilly club 'chat a box' Croydon 30 yrs ago with a Big afro hair style thinking that the people would eat me alive! But to my amazement all the people welcomed me, shook my hand & I chatted all night. I absolutely loved it!! This was a completely new world to me. Iv never taken the flag their as racist, On the scene my best mates wouldn't have it any other way! Neither would I, that's why I'm still here & always will be! ��

Update from Atomic

"following on from our decision to ban the racist rebel flag we are overwhelmed by the support we have received.several [2!] emails and facebuck likes almost into double figures!.
    however it has rightly been pointed out that the union jack and cross of St George are also symbols of right wing fascists [whatever the heck a fascist is LOL] so we have no choice but to ban ALL national flags from our event.
    We have also been told that the rainbow flag flown by the gay and lgbtxyzmgbtgtv8 community can cause offence to devout followers of Christianity and other religions but hey their feelings dont count so rainbows are welcome!.
    It has also been pointed out that with the growing popularity of the vegan movement we cannot condone any use of animal products.its not the stone age you know!.
    To clarify all burger vans hot dog stalls etc will be replaced with purveyors of vegan wraps and almond "milk".
    Admittance will be refused to anyone wearing leather/suede/snakeskin boots chaps jackets etc.
    Cars will also have to pass scrutineering before entry and any vehicle upholstered with leather or other animal skin is a no no.
    Further more should we find a vehicle upholstered with the hide of the critically endangered Nauga the driver and all his friends and family will be reported to the WWF and outed on instergram !.
    Any petrol or god forbid diesel powered vehicles will need to have emissions lower than a standard toyota prius to be used on site [you can tow them around with donkeys if you wish].
    Following a complaint from popular anti-gun campaigner Peers Organ we will have to apply a total ban on all firearms including imitation pistols used for quick draw contests or as part of a western or cowboy outfit.
    which brings me to to the next point NO cowboy outfits. they are incredibly racist considering how they ethnically cleansed the indians.
    er redskins.
    no wait "native americans" oops you nearly caught me out there!.
    And obviously nothing that glorifies wartime ie 1940s style hair/dress/makeup/tattoos will be allowed.
    Look forward to seeing you all [both?] at the show hope you have a great time.
    PS keep the music down we have to think of the neighbours!."
    Last edited by wannaB; 16-04-19 at 08:33 PM.

wanna b

Fuckin love it

Ya know...I was spooling up to make a reply to this clown-ette sarah BOOR, pointing out that SHE and her ilk are the real 'haters' , hating anything good, white and decent, that they are on the wrong side of history, that she/they are just a bunch of spoiled, imbecilic NPCs spewing the marxist drivel theyve been fed lacking the intellect to discern truth from fantasy and wrong from right and advising that yes, this DOES make her a snowflake. Furthermore, I was prepared to challenge her idiotic notion that the things she 'listed' were even bad. This was to be wrapped up with an urgent invitation for her to get off the planet, leaving room for adults to take over.
    Then I saw Mr WannaB's post.
    Sometimes sarcasm / humour is the better option.
    Nailed it.

But naturally, NPC morons like her and her fellow snowflakes won't get it anyway...

Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Incubator-Jones View Post
    Just been reading this bollocks that the organisers of the Atomic Festival and Rhythm Riot rock 'n' roll weekenders have posted on their social media pages.

Where to start? What an odious load of tripe that sneers at thousands of people within the rock 'n' roll, hot rodding and American car/music worlds who have been so insensitive as to innocently adopt a 150-year-old flag as a symbol of their individually-chosen and individually-defined identity.

Any half-intelligent creature capable of independent thought knows that very few things, certainly not geometric patterns as in flags, have any inherent meaning. The only meaning attached to anything is that which we as individuals prescribe to it and it is hardly difficult to realise that the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia meant one thing to General Robert E. Lee and the individuals within his army and something different to individuals within the Ku Klux Klan who have chosen to use it, and something else entirely to the 21st-century black man who sticks it on his Cadillac to drive to rock 'n' roll nights.

I know that to a good many people it seems trivial, but I am fed up of being told by sanctimonious personalities in authority positions and media roles that the flag has one blanket meaning quite different from what it actually means to me, and I am even more sick of this opinion being lapped up by a cretinous public that is happy to have all freedom of expression and exposure to historical truths removed so long as it can gawp at Netflix pseudo-documentaries and share memes. It's a sad day when the organisers of an event that is supposed to provide some light-hearted relief to enthusiasts for a particular culture throw their cards down and submit a mealy-mouthed apology that forsakes and insults the people it is supposed to represent.

While I think my tender years are generally well-known to my friends on here, I'll clarify that I am only 21 years old to further invalidate potential accusations of being old and out of touch, since they are so often used as an illogical dismissal of viewpoints that are more generally held by over-39s than under-40s. However, I was once a bonnie and blithe 14-year-old, innocent, intent on having fun and wholly uncorrupted by the fetid cesspit of politics. At this age, I first saw Bill Gibbs' Humdinger custom Zephyr in the April '77 Custom Car. Both man and machine - Mr. Gibbs was handsomely attired in a sharp drape suit - were a welcome splash of colour and excitement in a world of grey, amorphous SUVs, wimpish commercial pop music and polyester clothing made through the exploitation of Vietnamese wage slaves. The relevance of this is that Zephyr was covered inside and out in Confederate flags and instantly it became a symbol - a symbol of individual expression, style and good fun.

More than anything else, that set me on the path towards custom cars and rock 'n' roll music. I saw the flag in The Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit, and proudly fluttering all over 1970s and '80s hot rod shows and rock 'n' roll parties. As a symbol of rock 'n' roll music, it embraced Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino and Ray Charles. As a wider of symbol of southern music, you can throw Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Buddy Guy, Memphis Slim, B. B. King et al. into the mix. I'm pretty sure the black rock 'n' rollers played to audiences flying the flag all over the place but they didn't throw a hissy fit. The folk waving the flags were the same folks cheering them and putting bread on the table for them.

I enjoyed my Rockabilly years with a Confederate flag sewn proudly across the back of my denim jacket. Admittedly, it was only a stop-gap before I graduated to a Teddy Boy drape and gave the flag up, purely because it's rather too garish for my strict Edwardian aesthetic preferences, but I still have the denim jacket and it may be time for a dusting-down...

The difference is that today, we know that this same flag is being used by hate groups and by racists and extremists, often seen hung alongside Swastikas. We are not like those people. We do not want to be associated with those people. Yet when people display this flag at our events the outside world thinks that we are.
    And? If the collective intellect of the outside world is stuffed full of shit, is it worth worrying about? If we know that we are good individuals, then that is what matters. We have no responsibility to pander to the outside world - by lying to them and pretending that there are not individuals among us who like the Confederate flag, or by pretending that the Confederate flag is an inherently hateful symbol. I am more than happy to be accused of racial hatred or Nazism, so long as the accusation is wrong. If the accusation was right then I would have to stop and have words with myself, but to have a simpleton brand me as something that I know that I am not - well, I have fortitude enough that it should be like water off a duck's back.

As event organisers we cannot do that and nor would we want to, because we care very much about our scene.
    Of course you can allow it, you're just scared to. You've felt the thought police breathing down your neck and you're so hung up about your reputation and how you appear to people whose opinion isn't worth jack that you'll willingly forsake the minority interest that you claim to represent.

We are a passionate music scene, full of decent, talented and funny people and no one actually needs a big flag to celebrate that.
    We don't need to but we might like to, and if it hurts no one then why not?

I think I've made my point. Whether or not it may seem petty, I don't like that my teenage years of learning and innocent fun - never mind an extremely broad, varied and fascinating history encompassing 150 years - should be given a blanket association with something else entirely by the people who are supposed to act as representatives for my interests. It is totally unreasonable that we should allow our hobby to be defined by outsiders who have no interest in it, except to cast stones from their own bed of sin. If we do that then we end up with a watered-down, politicised void of awkward self-moderation that isn't worth shit to us or them.

That popular opinion believes an image should be banned and punishable simply means that popular opinion unfortunately has Fascist tendencies. By bowing to popular opinion on these matters, we are simply endorsing Fascism. I would propose that all those actively opposed to totalitarian government adopt the Swastika as a symbol in an ironic reversal of association, but I fear I will have no takers. I wouldn't mind striking out on my own, but I do admit to having a fear of the extreme pain that would likely be administered on me by the volunteer Gestapo.

A few qualifiers:

• Before anyone wastes their time telling me "It's a private company so it can set its own rules," let me confirm that that is perfectly correct. All the same, I am perfectly entitled to an opinion on those rules.

• I have never attended Atomic or Rhythm Riot (except for the RR car cruise on public roads) and did not have any immediate plans to. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have attended, but one has to have reached a level of financial security that I have not before one can attend, and I've hardly got any friends who'd want to accompany me anyway. Some would say that I should shut up, then. But no - I'm still entitled to express my view on a matter that I consider to be of personal and social importance and will not hesitate to do so.

• I am not calling the organisers Fascists or saying that they intentionally endorse Fascism. However, through their cowardice they are subconsciously encouraging totalitarianism and thought-policing and I will retract that remark only when it can reasonably be argued that it is a slur.

I intend to post this on Rods 'n' Sods where it might be read by more than 20 people, but I'm currently waiting for log-in issues to be resolved.

I'm not signed-up to the Zuckerberg Fan Club, but if anyone is then please feel free to copy and paste my post and submit it as a comment on the Atomic or Rhythm Riot pages. Who knows, one day the voice of reason and freedom might prevail. Feel free to do the same with RnS as it may be some time until I'm on there again.

In the meantime, how's this for a mantra I've just thought of? "Enjoy yourself and harm no one."

Edited to add:
    The same statement has been issued by Viva Las Vegas (USA), Rockabilly Rave (UK), Rockin' Race (Spain) and Viva East (USA).

I'm sorry Mr. J but I'm not buying it.

I call bullshit on your advertised age!

of the Croydon Teds

REV JIM RACING.
    i remember when P.C. meant copper...