Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!

UK - 'then' and 'now'

UK - then and now. Our buddy MJ has sparked the interest in 'then and now' images and things of interest (cars) in the 'then' images. This is an image of the Gallows Corner junction in 1965 before the then 'temporary' flyover was put in place in the early 70's to supposedly relieve the east/west traffic flow from London to south west Essex's A12 trunk road and the A17 Southend Arterial road. Seems to recall it was going to be there for 15 years until another solution was figured-out. 45 years later and it's still there! - An 'interesting' drive over with its 30 mph speed limit and very abrupt changes in inclination. Some have gone over (quite literally) at a far higher speed than sensible, become 'airborne' and sailed right over the barriers........

- look for the interesting vehicles!

And many year earlier still
    Last edited by roscobbc; 15-12-19 at 02:33 PM.

Milner for PM!
    Let's see... I'm debating whether there's a parked 100E and a Corsair on the roundabout, and the sit-up-and-beg-style car is probably a Pop or Prefect, but the one's I'm positive about:
    - Mk. I Cortina
    - Mk. III Zephyr/Zodiac
    - Wolseley 1500
    - Mini
    - Austin A35 van (possibly x2)
    - Ford Consul Classic
    - And best of all, and Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 346/Star Sapphire

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Impressed by your observational skills Zak - not forgetting the Standard Eight, Austin A60 Van and ass end of what could be a Austin/Morris J2/Standard Atlas (?) van/camper/bus
    Last edited by roscobbc; 16-12-19 at 01:12 PM.

Milner for PM!
    S'funny, in my head I'd typed 'Standard Eight/Ten' but it's definitely not there now.

Well done on the van - I'd been thinking of a Commer PB, but that has twin rear windows.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    You both missed the bleedin BUS!!!

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Busses are for friggin catchin' not photographin'.
    Having said that I do like a Routemaster or 50's single decker. Some of those are real beauties. Remember going to school in one with a big dorsal fin up top....

Milner for PM!
    Well, we could probably work it out. It doesn't appear to have an exposed radiator, so I'd suggest it was something made concurrently with the Routemaster, so c.1958-68, but I don't think it is a Routemaster. Buses are bound to be difficult because they'll have been bodied by different coachbuilders depending on where they're operating. I tried to work out the buses in Ross's other photo from Wolverhampton and concluded one was probably a Leyland Atlantean and the other a Daimler Fleetline, but I didn't want to attempt to figure out which was which.

Anyway, deerstalker on and pipe in place, we can see that buses in Essex were operated by Eastern National between 1929 and 1990. It's quite easy to find pictures of Bristol Lodekkas in Eastern National livery, so my guess is that's what we're looking it, possibly bodied by Eastern Coach Works of Lowestoft.

NBC Eastern National 2539 (1570) Bristol LD ECW Southend 28Aug75 (Copy) by FocusFlickr transport, on Flickr

Oh, what? It wasn't a serious question?

REV JIM RACING.
    Aec....?

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    I was always fascinated as a kid to sit up the front of the bus (and directly behind the driver) and watch him change gear in the RT and RM London buses - being pre-selector (and free-wheel) and all that. The Green Line 'country' Routemasters always seemed a little more civilised with their folding rear door (unlike LT's open platform version) - also a little warmer in winter and perhaps with a lower rear-end diff they seemed much faster. The Eastern National Lodekker I recall from earlier in the 50's when we lived a bit further out 'in the sticks'. These always seemed under powered and slow - nice sound though - also remember the incredible pollution they would kick out (all buses) - when riding up long hills and gradients on out bikes we would get totally enveloped in black diesel fumes if one of these came past. Strange thing is I quite liked the smell of diesel fumes - unlike today's diesel fumes which totally pervade the atmosphere as soon as you step in to the street.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Here is another one - from South Street Romford in 1965 - can we identify the vehicles?
    Last edited by roscobbc; 17-12-19 at 10:00 PM.