Thread: Classic wanted

Newbie (well to here at least)

Classic wanted

Hello, just a hypothetical question. If you wanted to import a car from the USA, how would you go about it? Get in touch with say “Ray’s Classics” or similar and ask them to find the car or find one on E-bay or similar, and get it shipped to someone to get it to here. Or any other way?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    sensible answer is DONT DO IT !
    the current exchange rate makes cars from the USA etc quite pricey and it seems to be getting worse.

but if you have deep pockets and have your heart set on something you cant find over here then e-bay is a start but also have a look at

https://www.hemmings.com/

and

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/forsale/vehicles

plenty of similar sites if you look around

I,m sure others here will advise how best to get your new motor imported
    Last edited by wannaB; 12-07-19 at 05:39 AM.

American technique have moved in very close to us. Was in Watford now a much bigger unit in Aylesbury. The dad seems more than sensible and aware. Have about 8 import in their unit being readied for the road for various customer. He has told me about some horror stories with usa imports because people get all misty eyed and wont take advise.

PM me your mobile number, I'll ask him to give you a call, if you like.

Be very sure of what you want, don't flit about. If you want a classic camaro then only look for them if you want a corvette look at them, etc. because you will get dreamy with the cars available. Ray's classic's by all accounts is a good guy to use.

If it was me I would be seeing how much I wanted to spend, include, purchase price, container shipping, handling charges by shipping company, import duty, Nova certificate, VAT and an MOT. then look to see if what you are after is available for similar money over here or in europe (be quick on that one maybe).

If the vehicle in the states has been modified extensively be very careful as you may not get it registered over here or have to do substantial works to get it registered.

I'm not trying to make it sound really difficult just some of the pitfalls, if it was me I woulod be looking at the above and if the car, or type of car, I am after is not available but only in the states I would go for it. Good luck.

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Thanks for the advice, I realise the exchange rate is terrible right now, but was only thinking about it. it's something I've wanted to do for years.
    I'll wait until this Brexit shite is sorted, if ever, then the exchange rate should settle down, hopefully get better.

Settling in
    this is ray owner of RAYS CLASSICS, I,ve been away from here for quite some time & just now got back here , although I don't want to talk myself out of a potential customer as others have said given the current rate ,unless you're looking for something extremely rare you're better off looking around over there right now there seems to be no shortage of just about any make or model import for sale so you should be able to find what you're looking for , I don't see the rate getting any better any time soon but if I can be of any help in the future feel free to get in touch , cheers. RAY A in sf