Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.

Splitting copper pipe

I have some 8mm micro bore copper pipe that I want to split to form an edge for an ally panel.
    I've tried a 1mm cutting disc but the pipe twists as it goes under the disc also the heat discolours it.
    Any bright ideas.
    I need to split 4 x 1mtr lengths.

You can buy lengths of S Steel (and probably other materials) U section in various widths and slot size. I used it to edge some steel mesh for a wash basket at work.

Never had much luck splitting lengths of thin wall pipe,

Sorry should have given more detail.
    I've got some ally U channel but it wont bend round curves, I have to run it to an angle.
    I'm trying to sort out my bomber seats and need to finish the sharp edge on the sides so something rounded would be great but it also needs to bend round the curves

A possible way: My old Black and Decker workmate's "jaws" had a semi-circle in each face so if it was me I would close the "jaws" up till the 8mm pipe was a snug fit then using an angle grinder with the 1mm thick disc, bolt the angle grinder down to the workmate top so that the cutting disc is in line with the centre of the slightly open jaws and deep enough to just cut through the copper tube.

Switch the angle grinder on and use a tie wrap to keep it on then push the copper tube into the hole and just keep pushing the tube through and when it appears the other side you can pull it through as well. Don't force the tube through let the blade do it's thing and cut.

Toolstation do a 0.8mm thick disc as well.

If the angle grinder is too violent then maybe a dremell with an appropriate blade. Also if you don't have the semi-circles in your workmate or bench you could always use two pieces of 25x25 timber and with a router put the desired semi-circles in to them and clamp them into the workmate.

As to the discolouration, will this not return to original state with the use of something like brasso or solvoautosol?

If it helps great if not sorry. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Sorry should have given more detail.
    I've got some ally U channel but it wont bend round curves, I have to run it to an angle.
    I'm trying to sort out my bomber seats and need to finish the sharp edge on the sides so something rounded would be great but it also needs to bend round the curves
    Then I would use plastic pipe, split and glued.

Thanks for the replies.

jsf55 - That's what I've got for the die hole edges. Was looking for something with a bit of rigidity to it to help stiffen up the sides.

Uncle fad - The ally is only 1.2 mm sheet so a little flexy (see pics in workshop thread). Was looking for something to add a bit of strength as well as a radius.

Stilltrying - I have an original workmate (cast white metal) will give that ago. It actually sounds like it might work

The S Steel U section is available to take that thickness. I just cant find it on Ebay anymore.

Settling in
    How about the trim that fitted down the side of the old minis ? is that still available .. yep

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-M...4AAOSwBRFaKpy4

Got the workmate out this afternoon and had a go at splitting the pipe.

Gripped in the jaws there was enough room to run the 1mm cutting disc down the gap.

The end result, looking good. Cheers Paul