Might as well be part of the furniture.

Auto electrical question

I'm trying to sort out a pump on the Nova project.

Uncle Fad will know what it is and what it is for, however, these pumps are generally powered by pressing a switch and holding it, this powers a relay inside the pump and opens a poppet type valve, the pump only rotates in one direction and with the valve open the fluid goes to a pair of hydraulic rams and does what it needs to do, release the switch and it stops, press the same switch a second time and a specially adapted relay energises the other pump solenoid and that poppet valve is open and the first one is closed, keep the switch pressed and the pump runs but now the rams retract.

The main components of the system are the main hydraulic pump with internal relays for the poppet valves, a starter solenoid (as the initial draw is close to 70amps), two separate relays as the run draw is around 20amps a further relay that flips from one relay to the other and a single switch to operate it all.

Well I wish to do away with the "flip/flop" relay as I wish to fit two switches, one for "UP" and a separate one for "DOWN".

The issue I have is if I wire up the pump as per my crappy sketch if you press the up switch it will also power the down solenoid inside the pump due to back feeding from the starter solenoid(the area clouded green) and the same applies if you press the down switch.

So what do I need to do to prevent this? can I put a diode in the lines somewhere in the clouded areas to prevent back feed, if so what and where do I get them from or is there an alternative to what I'm proposing to do.

This is where I'm at at the moment.

Mine was always manual. Never had the 'lazy mans option'.

Wish I did but ran out of room with all the other stuff for the RV8

Been thinking over lunch. The top is no different to a power window except the motion is by hydraulics and not an electric motor. In saying that the motor that drives the pump must be subject to the same high current when it reaches its limit as a window motor does. So a simple electric window circuit should be the answer to your problem if you can configure the hydraulics to comply.