Thread: "The Brighton"

of the Croydon Teds

"The Brighton"

Just a few photos from last weekend. It's ever so slightly off-topic, but there's not really much can rival the atmosphere of 400 pre-1905 cars chuffing away from London to Brighton on a crisp, sunny autumn morning.

Saturday morning was not so pleasant, however, and my walk round Trafalgar Square, along Pall Mall and up to Piccadilly Circus to view the Regent Street Motor Show was cold and wet, but certainly atmospheric. I think one fails to appreciate the beauty of London when contending with hordes of tourists, shoppers and business types for movement, but as they were still in bed I felt a great sense of freedom at being almost the only person on Trafalgar Square.

Anyway, that's enough scenery. Saturday night meant champagne at the Royal Automobile Club, and that looked like the smartest building in all London with such a line-up of cars decorating it, from the front: 1894 Benz Velo, 1898 Benz Velo, 1910 Walker Model K electric van and 1904 Renault 20hp.

After three hours sleep, the walk along Bayswater Road to Hyde Park was an interesting one, with all manner of machines being unloaded, woken up and tested along the main drag - here's a 1902 Darracq.

Photography in the dark at Hyde Park was pretty much impossible, but I was pleased with this shot of the 1896 Salvesen steam cart breezing up to the start.

Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 08-11-19 at 10:51 AM.

of the Croydon Teds
    Everything was over by 8:30, so I ambled along to Victoria to catch the first Brighton train. Refer to my previous comments about scenery. The walk round the Wellington Arch, through Green Park, along Constitution Hill and round Buckingham Palace was beautiful, although had it been much later than 9am on a Sunday morning, I would have been too eager to escape crowds that I'd not have noticed it.

A deserted 1900 Daimler, perhaps an early mechanical casualty, looked suitably placed along the regal avenue of Constitution Hill.

The train pulled into Brighton at about 10:30 and the rest of the day was a very pleasant one, watching the colourful stream of coachbuilt bodies and brassware come rolling in.

Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 08-11-19 at 10:49 AM.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Used to regularly get to Hyde Park about 6:00/6:30am to see the cars being started-up and warmed up. The ones that fascinated me were the big capacity tourers and especially the steamers.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    great pics and write up as usual nigel

was sad to hear that one gentleman lost his life on the run after taking a wrong turn onto the motorway.

Great pics ; the 'scenery' ones are fantastic. Know it 'aint no thang' to yall, but those are so interesting - and quite evocative - to me. Really great.
    Looks a good turnout too. Thanx for sharing.

We really appreciate your pics mate.

Twit of the year you are NOT.
    G

Thanks for posting NIJ, When I used to work in North London I regularly had to drive around the West end and city areas at silly times of the day and night, the late-night early mornings were my favorite times for exactly the reasons mentioned, no traffic, tourists or workers everywhere, and going back then NO speed cameras either, so blatting about was fun, now I hate driving in London and only do so on the very infrequent occasion if forced to.

Next year you need to get a ride along on one of those cars for the full on experience and you could write it up for one of the mags

of the Croydon Teds
    Thanks for the comments.

Ross - I totally concur, the big cars (up to 45hp!) are certainly the most impressive. I'm a sucker for any large car with a two-seat racing body - they look fun. A few of the cars on the Run did have period competition provenance, but it seems a lot were rebodied once their competitive days were over.

Stilltrying - If the offer came my way, I'd not turn it down! I probably need to put my feelers out and get to know more of the owners, though I have made the acquaintance of a chap with a 1905 Cadillac limousine which would be one year too late for eligibility except that it's allowed under the grandfather rights rule, as the Veteran Car Club previously believed it to be 1904.

Go for it Nigel, get pestering