Thread: SSR Picnic 2019

Milner for PM!

SSR Picnic 2019

Three driving tours I've been on this year and each one of them has been all wet and miserable. Still, country roads and cool rods are good fun whatever the weather, so the Surrey Street Rodders' Picnic was a fine day despite conditions.

The usual start point at the Jack Phillips in Godalming was replaced this year by Pine Ridge Golf Club in Frimley, the SSR being graciously hosted by Mark Rumble and his excellent Bagshot Breakfast Meet. So, here are some of the cars that you might expect to see on a typical second Sunday at Pine Ridge:

Milner for PM!
    Meanwhile, these other cars made up the run contingent:

Milner for PM!

Milner for PM!

Milner for PM!
    After taking in the Victorian former railway station at Ash Green and negotiating a tight uphill hairpin, we turned past Cutmill Pond and came to a stop at the top of Puttenham Common for our halfway tea break. There's no doubt it's a lovely place, but one just can't help thinking it would have been much nicer still if the rain hadn't been lashing down.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    The joys and beauty of living in the UK, just imagine if every day when you got up in the morning the first thing you had to do was put on your sunglasses

One day I hope to have something running so I can join in, maybe next year fingers crossed. Thanks for posting Nigel.

Milner for PM!
    Setting off again, we headed north-east, enjoyed a blast along the periphery of the autumnal Chobham Common, then ended up rolling into a car park marked 'Great Cockcrow Railway', at the end of which was a 1950s station building. "Wozzis?" thinks I, "We haven't got any steam railways in Surrey! I'd better investigate - once I've taken advantage of the barbecue."

I was wrong - the Great Cockcrow Railway in Chertsey has been steaming away since 1968, though it can trace its roots as a private railway back to 1946, but here's the rub - it's only 7žin gauge, or 1/8th scale! Amazingly, it's survived for over 50 years as a volunteer operation, with services only on Sunday afternoons. I know model railways are a nerdy interest, but it's a fantastic thing that allows for the public to get a taste of engineering and transport history and gives the enthusiasts a chance to experience running and driving a steam locomotive when running a full-size train isn't viable. It currently operates a fleet of 25-30 engines, some of which are as old as the railway itself. As for that station building, it was built in 2014! Fooled me, though...

Don't forget, you can see all this in more every month in Street Machine! Also, look up your local miniature railway and take your children/grandchildren for a day out in the summer.

Methinks you guys 'get it' ; youd NEVER get anything like that happening over here if it rained.
    Looks a good get together - thanx for the photos and descriptive prose.

great pics/words as usual nigel
    the "scene" is a lot less tribal than the old days its great to see yanks old and new, rods and classics all flocking together.

PS just read the SM piece.
    1 page 5 pics ? good stuff but we are really privileged to see all the extras here.
    Thanks

Site Team
    This has always been a favourite of mine despite the bulk of my cars sometimes being a tight fit in a few of the chosen roads. Sadly the last few years it has clashed with me being out of the country. Thanks for sharing.