Thread: Propshafts

Might as well be part of the furniture.

Propshafts

Just got the prop shaft back from being made.
    Looks good.
    Tried it under the car and guess what.....its an 1" too long!

The measurement given to the company that built it was 34" from the oil seal on the trans to the centre line if the rear U/J.
    They said they would allow 1/2" from the sliding yoke shoulder.
    The sliding yoke bottoms out in the trans with 1 1/2" sticking out.
    It's going to cost 75 plus VAT to have it shortened.
    Can I cut an 1" of the front end of the sliding yoke or is that bad?

First question is who made the mistake? did you measure incorrectly or have they made the mistake? Going by the fact that they are asking for another 75 I assume that it was your measurement but I would check again just in case.

As for cutting the slip yoke I would personally like to see a photo to ensure that what I think you are saying is in fact what you have, secondly IF it's what I think you mean then are you sure that there is no issues with the box, by this I mean is there any chance that there is something stopping the slip yoke going further into the box than it currently is?

If the slip yolk IS too long then I would probably cut off the offending amount and put a slight taper on the "new" front piece to aid putting into the box and so not tearing the seal, having said that my preferred way would be to ask Uncle Fad for his opinion.

Oh, just thought, have you checked to see if there any different front yolk's for this particular box or are they all the same length?

Settling in
    If you cut 1" off the yoke it may make it fit, but will it allow enough for any suspension movement if the rear axle travels in an arc ?

1 1/2 times the diam for MINIMUM engagement. BUT
    with your power I would look for as much as i could get. 800BHP flapping around with a 2 foot bar on the end of it will make a mess. 75 quid after all you have put into the car, its a no brainer to me.
    G

Two other things to think about (maybe), Firstly IF cutting the slip yolk, make sure that the internal splines carry on all the way to the bottom of the shaft.
    Secondly is the yolk secured on the UJ by a staked joint or circlips? If circlips and you can get a shorter slip end then you can easily change that out yourself, obviously the new end would need to be cheaper than the cost of getting it modified.

As to Uncle Fad's remark about the amount of engagement, I'm wondering if that is an issue purely because if they take out an inch from the shaft it pulls the engagement backwards by an inch so is it any different to you cutting it? No offence uncle Fad just my brain doing overtime, you certainly have loads more knowledge than me on anything automotive.

Things to think about but I still think you need to make sure that the yolk is fully home without destroying anything first.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 01-02-20 at 11:25 AM.

All true, but by taking out an inch from the shaft the length of the splined part of the yoke stays the same length, not 1" less...

No one on this forum has ever been offensive to me, so just say what ever you want... I know you all so well. Friends only ever fall out over the females in their life and I'm pretty sure we are all settled in that department.

Besides I would like to remind you all I got shit wrong many times and will continue to do so

Thanks for the help guys.
    Have gone and taken a load of measurements (should have done that first!)
    Decided to get the shaft shortened and not mess with the yoke.
    As Mr Fad said in the scheme of things whats another 75!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Besides I would like to remind you all I got shit wrong many times and will continue to do so
    But that is the point, you have been there and done that and worked out what works or should be done

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Have gone and taken a load of measurements (should have done that first!)
    Decided to get the shaft shortened and not mess with the yoke.
    As Mr Fad said in the scheme of things whats another 75!!!