Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    We could get real deep here....

Music is just music, notes on a page.
    It is our thoughts in any particular moment that make that music seem good or bad to us.

I'm glad to find I'm not the only one who doesn't get the fuss about the Beatles.
    Every time I get stopped by some tourist crossing that bl**dy crossing by Abbey Road studios I let out a scream

Zack, that was very well written

Ditto the beetles all up their own arses, I would possibly exempt Ringo Star from that, the others can F**k right off!!!!

I'll get my coat.

EXCELLENT post[s] by Mr Incubator-Jones, as usual. Would agree with most everything he said; we have slightly differing opinions on chuck berry as my friend Nigel gives him more credit than I, but otherwise, pretty much spot on and so eloquently presented as to be basically inarguable.
    One note - I fear that the misunderstanding about my comments on Classical is due to me being less than crystal clear; I like classical music, and I too seem to be listening to it more and more. In fact, if I am at a place where terrestrial radio is my only source of tunes, Classical is all I listen to. My comments were made vis a vis the current commercial side of the genre - NOT the small number of people who seem to listen/enjoy; the music itself is great, but the recording and commercial side is wholly controlled by a particular 6 tenths of one percent of the worlds population, and (((they))) are reaping the financial benefits, if not wholly, than in the main, for doing nothing. Oh, except waving a stick in the air. The 'conductor' is the only name you hear and the one with the contract - like a whole hoard of professional musicians need some fuzzy tare up there telling them how to play what they already know and is written on their charts anyway... Classical radio really gets my goat too; its minutes of blissful music interrupted by the most blatant propaganda - that has nothing to do with the music - imagineable. Basically, classical radio WAS the last spot of solace on the dial and that has also been turned into a course on social engineering.

I would agree also, that there is basically a 30 year span on pop/rock that generated anything of quality, and if you want to include 'Big band' in the 'popular' category, you can add the late 30s into the late 40s in that era. But seriously, the question was asked about 'what are the record companies doing' and why would they ruin the gravy train? [I paraphrase]... we all know the reason. There is a singular purpose in the music industry and we all know it - the eradication of Christendom and European civilisation, with a sideline of erasing OUR history and demeaning our accomplishments. The current clan of 'performers' do nothing but harp about anything the white male does and blame all of society's problems on the SWM. This is true across all media; if you dont think so, just begin to watch and listen critically. TV commercials are the worst, but it permeates it all. 'Music' , as is being produced today, is PURE propaganda and a call to immorality. All with the end aim to reduce Western Civilsation and Western 'man' to the dustbin so their 'new world order' can come to fruition. Listen to Lavrenti Beria, the former head of the NKVD, addressing a group of US communist students at Lenin University in 1953. “Degradation and conquest are companions. By attacking the character and morals … by bringing about, through contamination of youth, a general degraded feeling, command of the populace is facilitated to a very marked degree. By perverting the institutions of a nation and bringing about a general degradation … a population can be brought psychologically to heel…” If the reader does not understand this, I dare them to give it objective viewing/listening/thought.

BTW... that, as i have described them before, ''Buddy Holly cover band that 'somehow' got famous" which made that crossing famous was at the vanguard of that... along with that poor example of a garage band known as the stones... Even Peter Paul and Mary - themselves change agents - wrote the famous line "when the Beatles say they have a word to SELL you, they say exactly what they mean...'

Quick word about Elvis; Mr Incubator-Jones addresses the subject better than I, but the uptake is that, imho, Elvis was a good guy who ended up being a trained monkey by manipulative management and the attraction of riches. He was a media product. BUT... I believe he really did love the music, it just got out of control. I usta work with a guy - who was a darn good Elvis impersonator btw - whose second cousin or something was Elvis' road manager or something. Anyway, Glenn knew the inner working basically first hand from his relative and Glenn had even been able to spend some time with 'the King' himself. Glenn told me that Elvis realised what was going on, but just couldnt get off the hamster wheel - not so much for his own enrichment as he had plenty of bucks, but there were so many people making their livelihood off of him that he felt a responsibility. he was trapped. He also said that after most shows - until the end when he was feeling so bad - that they would have supper, and the Elvis would want to sit up all night singing and playing, mostly Gospel. THATS where Elvis felt he could really enjoy the music, sing from the heart and not 'perform'. We note that Elvis' only grammy was for a gospel album...

Folk music - as Mr I-J states, there is no real folk music any more. The reason for that is that their is no "FOLK" any more - we are being scattered as a people[s] and have little connection to our own. Folk music comes from the shared culture, history and experience of a particular group, irrespective of group/nationality [or even race to an extent]. But there MUST be that shared cohesiveness to facilitate the creation of the music, or art, or literature or most anything else. And we see all those are sorely lacking in todays world. There are many reasons - including technology - in play, but rest assured, it is NOT happening by accident.

As Mr Fabphil says, music is just notes on paper or air molecules vibrating at certain intervals, but it resonates deeply within many. There are certain sounds and rhythms that resonate diferently among different groups even, but they all stir emotion in the listener. Some of it is genetic quite frankly, while some undoubtedly is the result of memory/experience. I could give examples of both personally. But the fact remains that music imparts feelings and motivations, and is therefore important in the macro. It should represent a society's vision and values, yet it no longer does so for us. Or, maybe , sadly, it does.

I'll get my coat now...
    Last edited by malamute john; 12-02-20 at 11:19 AM.

well... looks like I killed this thread...sorry. But Mr Fad said it might be contentious...and as such is my middle name...

Last edited by malamute john; 12-02-20 at 11:18 AM.

I was going to post this last night , but given the previous I felt it wasn't worthy

Folk music - as Mr I-J states, there is no real folk music any more.
    Possibly Tom Morello in Watchman persona. although probably not it's more likely that it's just the instrument he uses in that persona, and the lack of overproduction,......Folk Music and by association Folk Clubs I might come get back to that subject, I will say I've spent a fortnight there one evening, at least it felt like it

One man who meets the Title........John Mayall

Its not a matter of 'worthy' Mr Dirth - certainly it is. Mr Fad started the thread [i assume] to get others opinions and viewpoints. Yours is not only welcome, but assuredly covetted. As are those of other forum members. So yall chime in - I'll be quiet!

Only ever met one person who sung for pleasure; everyone else either took money or had enough to just play for their own pleasure; because they had earned a huge amount already and were already financially independent.

Very FEW real people sing just for the music.

I appreciate all your replies and its interesting to see the different 'cuts' on my jaundiced and cynical view.
    Last edited by fad15; 14-02-20 at 02:41 PM.

Only ever met one person who sung for pleasure
    And how was Bono then?

Or is my cynicism showing?

My dog, back then loved them...

Quote Originally Posted by dirth View Post
    And how was Bono then?

Or is my cynicism showing?
    I know I said Id be quiet, but...
    Last edited by malamute john; 14-02-20 at 07:03 PM.