Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Wash hands before putting a mask on. Use plastic bag to remove it. As I said make your own mind up because as I have experienced in the past with scientific research/evidence; it can be structured to give a desired outcome in a lot of cases. One thing that can influence it is..... I best stop here.

I am not sure there is a reliable media company left on this earth.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Jeez - tried not to read too much over the last couple of weeks and accordingly make my own mind up about the 'state of play' about world events - but the conspiracy theories.........doe's my head-in.
    SO
    Observation and question time.
    Interesting that China chose to 'officially' announce the virus to the world at the same time as the Chinese New Year. This is the time that migrant factory workers take their annual holidays, spend several days, a week whatever returning back to their families 'out in the sticks' - remain with them for a week or so and them make the resultant return trip back to the cities and factories. So there's mass movement of millions of people and the resultant effects on virus transmission.

Supermarkets interestingly put up crowd barriers and tape out walkways for the 2 metre separation etc etc - our local Waitrose has the indigenous mock 'Nazi' staff shouting at customers who look as though they might be unlikely to observe the distancing 'rules' yet seem to be immune/ignorant/unconcerned for their own health when then 'brushing' past the same customers within the store themselves to get to another part of the store. Yet go to the local Co-op/Texaco gas station/mini-supermarket and you'll see zero 'distancing' either with staff or customers.

I'm intrigued with the information on dust/vapour etc and with an expert like our own Fad15 on here I have a couple of questions/observations I'd his welcome comments on. I fall in to a couple of the 'at risk' categories - I'm 70 next month and asthmatic - not asthma in the true sense but an allergic cough that creates an asthmatic reaction (I think that's how it's explained) anyway something 'out there' in the atmosphere gives me coughing fits at times. I suspect its all down to diesel particulates what with working and having travelled in London (mainly driving, but also on the tube network) for the last 50 years.

When out in the street, perhaps following someone 'Vaping' and specifically someone vaping with the 'wick' fully turned-up and the resulting exhaled huge vapour clouds - is this indicative of the kind of droplets that could carry the Coronavirus infection? - if so then the 2 metre 'rule' is way too minimal given the visual 'size' of the vapour cloud and how it could relate to someone infected with Coronavirus transmitting it.................

Deaths Comment and comparison has been make about casualty rates from other epidemics and how the effects of Coronavirus are being made too much of - how a 'few' deaths is nothing to worry about etc etc - well it isn't only going to be a few deaths is it - we were led to believe that only the sick and elderly were at risk - that isn't the case is it? with children and younger people being effected now - too many people simply dismissing potential deaths as being 'acceptable' - perhaps its acceptable to the 'singular' people with no relatives or friends. Just one death from Coronavirus (or any ailment) is unacceptable.

USA Hope the the 'good guys' over there in MJ's Flyover Zone are 'battening down the hatches', putting-in road blocks, turning all vehicles away (including delivery trucks with essential supplies) cos' its coming to your town, perhaps not today, not tomorrow or next week - fortunately you'll all hopefully have time to prepare.
    Last edited by roscobbc; 28-03-20 at 07:40 PM.

Just a few stats from our last briefing, remember that these are localized to a single mid sized hospital in central Indiana, USA. As of this past Thursday we had tested about 500 people since this became a thing. Of those, 283 were negative, 12 were positive and 2 were inconclusive. We have 42 dedicated isolation rooms and approximately 150 negative air rooms which are all in use for various reasons including the Wuhan Flu, the "normal" flu, TB, and various other afflictions. We have a total of 6 confirmed cases in house that justified hospitalization due to age, pre-existing conditions, etc.

One other stat they threw at us is that during this flu season alone somewhere between 24k and 60k people have died in the U.S. vs, I believe around 900 for Wuhan as of this morning. Oxford University has been working on a paper that suggests that millions of people have already been exposed to Wuhan and either died, got over a mild or severe case and moved on or never exhibited any symptoms.

But don't listen to me or believe any of this and continue panicking if you feel "somebody should do something!" Me, I've got a couple of nice pork butts in the smoker and will be enjoying the fruits of that labor in about 8 or 9 hours!!

Just waiting for the price of Midgets to crash so i can swoop in
    One with wire wheels and a hard top maybe

Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    I'm intrigued with the information on dust/vapour etc and with an expert like our own Fad15 on here I have a couple of questions/observations I'd his welcome comments on. I fall in to a couple of the 'at risk' categories - I'm 70 next month and asthmatic - not asthma in the true sense but an allergic cough that creates an asthmatic reaction (I think that's how it's explained) anyway something 'out there' in the atmosphere gives me coughing fits at times. I suspect its all down to diesel particulates what with working and having travelled in London (mainly driving, but also on the tube network) for the last 50 years.
    I was always told an expert is...... 'ex'-- has been, 'spurt'---a drip under pressure.

I am NOT a doctor or an accredited person in this discipline, although I have in the past, taught to degree students and presented papers at the request of others better qualified in the field, including scientits who made names for themselves in our dicipline.. I never wanted to take the approved academic route and suppose I suffered in some ways for that choice.

So here's a starter for you, I never have and never will own or use a Diesel powered vehicle. Why. Because they produce particulate emissions that fall in the 'small' range (0.8 micron and smaller in most cases) and get deep into the lungs. (DPFs are suppose to take care of this, Yeh right) Its not only the particles that can cause damage but what's on their surface, such as BTX along with un-burnt and intact hydrocarbons. As the particles deposit the coating of these particles are in close contact to the membrane that is between the air chambers of the lungs and the blood stream, so they have a direct route into our systems.

There is also a thing called sensitivity, where after exposures to a certain sustenance over time (scale is not clear here) the body becomes so intolerant to that particular chemical/compound that even a negligible exposure to it will cause immediate and sever reactions.

I have no idea what may be causing your reaction but a 70 you, like me have been exposed to so many things in our lives its a case of take your pick, unless you want to be a testing station for research into this kind of thing.

I smoked for over 50 years and gave up in one day after my chest infection. It was NOT for the fear of dying, I just didn't want a cigs any more, but as we all know the damage has been done (especially me as I had so much exposure to lung disease and it causes in my careerer), which is why I am taking the precautions I am.

As always this is all JMHO....

Gerry

Note: BTX is Benzene, Toluene Xylene. You may recognise these from various cleaners and thinners from our past. All hydrocarbons and as we now know harmful to our bodies and systems. In saying that I used to wash my hand in this stuff as a matter of course.
    Last edited by fad15; 28-03-20 at 05:45 PM.

Milner for PM!
    Quote Originally Posted by cptpugwash View Post
    You've been away for a bit, haven't you? Welcome back.

If I remember you are an expert on all things horticultural. If so I need some advice on my carrots.

Been a while dude. Waht happened... got lost and then found your calling again

daughter in law is currently expecting and has serious underlying health issues.she was terrified when this started and the worry was really not helping her health.
    we calmed her down pointing out the many bbc/medical/government experts that stated categorically that the disease was generally mild in pregnant women with a virtually zero mortality rate and no risk to the unborn.
    all good until out of the blue they announced that over 70s and pregnant women must go on full lockdown for their own safety!.
    she,s now isolated and terrified.

people are allowed out once a day for exercise [here in the UK] just like prison.some people took to the hills in the peak district in pairs miles from anyone else and were filmed by a police drone and shamed on the news and the police twitter page.
    Former justice secretary David Gauke described it as "badly misjudged" and pointed out the people in the footage were maintaining a social distance.
    the police commission released [then later withdrew] a statement saying it was an overreaction and it was fine to travel to open spaces to walk the dog or exercise as long as we keep apart.
    then the government tells us we must only only exercise from home and not travel to open spaces.
    its all as clear as fkin mud!.
    today a gov adviser reiterated that if we show any symptoms we must self isolate as a precaution but reassured us that at this time of year aprox 10 per cent of the uk population will have a cold or sniffle anyway so dont panic.
    less than an hour later i had switched channels and i listened to a medical expert stating that the cold and flu season was over in this country and if you have a new cough it is almost certainly corona??????????
    however bad the virus is we are being bullshitted left right and centre.
    tbh i dont expect anything else but at least try to get the story straight.
    Last edited by wannaB; 29-03-20 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Incubator-Jones View Post
    You've been away for a bit, haven't you? Welcome back.
    Thanks Zak, haven't been to well so haven't been out and about much. Pictures of you keep popping up of you driving some old crock!..what happened to the 100e?
    Anyways do as yeah told and stop in doors, yeah little bugger

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    If I remember you are an expert on all things horticultural. If so I need some advice on my carrots.

Been a while dude. Waht happened... got lost and then found your calling again
    No not expert on things horticultural Gerry, think that's Plumpcars area. Am quite good at growing moss in the lawn though without even lifting finger
    There does seem to be a line of thought though that carrots liked to talked too first thing in the morning, just before the sun starts rising. Might be worth a try if their being troublesome
    Funny you should mention diesel fumes, they make me feel ill now after giving up smoking.

Just a couple of thoughts on the virus
    Vitamin D seems to help the system

This guy did a video on how long the virus stays alive on surfaces and in the air too but Youtube have deleted it

World wide the death rate seems to be 18% on closed cases at the min! although id image these figures are way off
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Think there's a good chance of a recession coming once the money stops circulating, even with people being paid 80% of their wages, once the housing market stops that's normally been a good indicator. Think there's a good chance of negative interest rates coming this year too along with a lot of negative equality...think if first time buyers hold of for a year their going to be in a good position. No expert mind so could be way off..
    China and Russian have been hoarding gold since early last year too..

Zak mentioned suicide. Think there could be chance of male suicide rates going up once couples are living under each other feet with financial pressures and work uncertainty. Women are going to start getting itchy feet.

Anyways after that cheery stuff i'm going back to Hotrods, Midets and Challengers..maybe not in that order
    Please try and stay safe and remember just 3 loo rolls at a time

Quote Originally Posted by cptpugwash View Post
    A co-worker has a thing for midget strippers (not judging here but. . . . ) for the brief moment it took to get to that second sentence it all came flooding back. Thank (insert deity of your choice here) you added the wire wheels and hard top line!