Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    humble apologies sir i did promise at least 1 post a day and i will even if todays posts are a bit late.

sorted

Well, work has dropped of a cliff so stuck at home avoiding everyone (no change there really).
    Nothing done in the garage but have cleaned and polished the daily, barrowed a ton of soil into the back garden for the new raised beds for growing veg.
    Run a new garden tap down the garden to the green house.
    All those little jobs I said I'd do over the last year.
    Tomorrow replacing front and back discs and pads on the daily. Oh, and may be a job for a customer if Virgin have installed the TV boxes and I'm allowed in the house!
    Interesting times.

Prince Charles now tested positive !
    so if he dies then the Queen shortly after do we get King Andy

Old enough to know better
    Well, I'm here.
    Unusually I know, but my industry was one of the first to be dealt the blow and will be one of the last to start up again. As of Sunday of last week we were playing to packed houses all over the country and by Monday night it was all over. It has taken us 10 days to get all the cast back to their respective countries and all our kit back home. All at our cost. With nothing coming in, and no hope of anything coming in until at least the end of June, even if we get back out at the begining of June. To say it has had a catastrophic effect on our business and industy would be the understatement of the year. And, yes I know, many people are in the same boat. But, apart from a few theatre staff, who are employed, pretty much everyone in the entertainment/events industry is self employed or contracted and is royally fucked.
    And for what? A hair trigger over reaction to a virus about as serious as a common cold to most.
    Sorry to sound angry, I know it's not like me, but to watch everything that me and the lovely 'er indoors have worked for snuffed out overnight is a bit on the distressing side.
    Ok rant over, I'll find some pics of birds with big thrups to cheer you all up when I've got a minute

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Well, work has dropped of a cliff so stuck at home avoiding everyone (no change there really).
    Nothing done in the garage but have cleaned and polished the daily, barrowed a ton of soil into the back garden for the new raised beds for growing veg.
    Run a new garden tap down the garden to the green house.
    All those little jobs I said I'd do over the last year.
    Tomorrow replacing front and back discs and pads on the daily. Oh, and may be a job for a customer if Virgin have installed the TV boxes and I'm allowed in the house!
    Interesting times.
    Like most my work has basically stopped now, so today I was on the roof of the house trying to sort out some lead work I want to do. However I needed a few bits but the builders merchants were closed and toolstation would only do click and collect, tried doing that but their site was down for ages. Now I find the government has told the builders merchants to go back to work. Hope you all keep safe and things get back to normal sooner rather than later, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by KerbyCrewGary View Post
    Well, I'm here.
    Unusually I know, but my industry was one of the first to be dealt the blow and will be one of the last to start up again. As of Sunday of last week we were playing to packed houses all over the country and by Monday night it was all over. It has taken us 10 days to get all the cast back to their respective countries and all our kit back home. All at our cost. With nothing coming in, and no hope of anything coming in until at least the end of June, even if we get back out at the begining of June. To say it has had a catastrophic effect on our business and industy would be the understatement of the year. And, yes I know, many people are in the same boat. But, apart from a few theatre staff, who are employed, pretty much everyone in the entertainment/events industry is self employed or contracted and is royally fucked.
    And for what? A hair trigger over reaction to a virus about as serious as a common cold to most.
    Sorry to sound angry, I know it's not like me, but to watch everything that me and the lovely 'er indoors have worked for snuffed out overnight is a bit on the distressing side.
    Ok rant over, I'll find some pics of birds with big thrups to cheer you all up when I've got a minute
    I can well understand your rant, the only thing I would say is that the UK did try to stay "open" but pressure from all sorts and the fact that Spain, Italy and France closed up put too much pressure on the powers to not be seen to be doing something more.
    I have a friend that lives in Spain and they closed up last week to the extent that only the driver is allowed in a car, no passengers, even taxi's are only allowed one passenger and they have to be in the back. Only one person can walk a dog and if you are caught too far away from home walking said dog you get fined, and they are policing it with force.
    performing arts is always a hard game to be in, two of my daughters were in that game but found it difficult to get continuity of work, one is still at a music uni and has just come home as all classes have been suspended and they are going to try to continue by skype, doubt that will work very well.
    As said before, I hope it turns around sooner rather than later and you can get back to a bit of normality. Fingers crossed.

I feel for you guys, I really do. Watching a lifes work being dribbled away is heartbreaking.

As you know I took this quite seriously due to my chest problems and the probable result if I catch it, so isolation started last Friday for wife and me. In Italy it seems that anyone over 60 who gets it, does not get a ventilator with the inevitable result.

Luckily we are both working from home at the moment and as the other half has always been a person who has a reserve of everything in the house, our last shopping trips were less than normal. My last 2 were for 30 quid and 7 quid but the people around me were spending in the hundreds.

We can help out others who are short on things we have in multiples so that's one good thing.

I hate to say it, but I think the world has changed completely and will never be the same again. Savings are worth 30% less than two weeks ago and will not recover for years. Massive spending by governments to support people; and rightly so; will take decades of taxes to get back and unfortunately businesses will disappear.

There are theories about this Virus that may prove to be true in future times...

Please stay safe, all, and use the governments offer of help if you can.

G
    Last edited by fad15; 26-03-20 at 09:20 AM.

On a slightly lighter point, how the hell are you fixing automatic boxes at home

Keep safe uncle fad and all your's.

Milner for PM!
    Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think the world has changed completely and will never be the same again.
    There's plenty of truth in that. I never would have thought I would see a time when people who ordinarily oppose any state intervention in their lives would be positively clamouring to have their social and professional lives totally cut short and all freedom to travel more than a couple of miles from their own home rendered a criminal offence.

The measures that have been implemented have not been based on any particular knowledge or considered wisdom. They have been implemented after the Daily Mail, its rabid lapdog Morgan and a few self-righteous Twitter hacks insisted that it knew best and demanded that the public be placed under lock and key - what amazes me is that appears to have succeeded in getting the unthinking hoards on its side. They hounded the government for an instant answer (or so it seems, if you don't regard the relationship between the press and government as being merely theatre) and weren't going to back down until they got one. Now, you could give me a complicated maths question and demand that I answer it instantly. Of course, my answer would just be the first number that comes into my head and it would most probably be the wrong one.

The calls to lock everyone up were justified by a few pictures of people recklessly going for a walk in the park or at the seaside. They didn't show groups of people, but the city parks looked fairly busy - well, it was a Sunday and the weather was very nice - and for that reason all the people who'd decided to take some exercise and fresh air were being slurred by the press as selfish and idiotic. We can see a few groups of people in twos or threes, but what's to say they aren't family members? The whole press witch-hunt was a mountain of assumptions built on the flimsiest foundations. Now we've got police threatening dangerous individuals who think they have some sort of God-given right to sunbathe alone in public or drive to the countryside to walk their dog.

Anyone who dissents just becomes the recipient of more moronic slurs. Anyone who's been photographed walking at the seaside 'is treating the virus like it's a holiday'. No, they'd probably much prefer to be at work but, now that's off the table, they've made their choice of the two things their still allowed to do, which are go for a walk or slip into a boredom-induced coma. If you criticise the government response you're an 'armchair scientist'. No, because you're not disputing facts themselves, you're disputing whether the response to them has been appropriate.

And the fact is that there are hardly any facts. We don't know how infectious this virus is or how many people it has the potential to hospitalise or kill. Oxford University has published a study which says it may already have infected half the British population without anyone noticing. Well, if it can infect 33,000,000 people and only kill 500, I don't think we've got too much to worry about. Of course, it may be far more dangerous but we don't know. Yet, without knowing anything, we have jumped to the conclusion that we must stop all activity.

What do people remember about Hong Kong flu in 1968? My mother was only four but she has no recollection of it at all, so despite killing 1,000,000 worldwide and 80,000 in the UK, it can't really have been all that bad. What about Spanish flu in 1918? In my history lessons we discussed how the economy was affected by the Kaiser War, Weimar government, the General Strike and the Wall Street Crash but Spanish flu wasn't even a footnote. Was it because people then simply didn't care about their relatives, the elderly or the disabled dying? Of course not - I'm sure they just pulled themselves together and accepted that death is simply what happens at the end of life. From dust you come, to dust you shall return and all that.

Besides which, house arrest would have been completely impossible to enforce in 1918 or 1968. It's internet and mobile technology that makes it possible. Can't go shopping for clothes? No problem, order it online. Can't meet your friends in the pub? Just get them up on the screen of your phone that you paid 800 even though it only cost pennies to manufacture through the exploitation of Asian workers. Feeling bored because everywhere is shut? Never mind, put Netflix or YouTube on. Meanwhile, house arrest is a catastrophe for anyone who lives in a one-bedroom flat and can't move around, anyone who lives on their own and can't talk to anyone and all the elderly who perhaps don't expect to live much longer anyway. The most dangerous thing is that we cannot have face-to-face conversations with people. It makes it very difficult to criticise government policy of people cannot gather to exchange views.

I tried to sign up as an NHS volunteer driver thinking it would be a win-win as I could get out on the road and do a good turn at the same time. Glossing over the small print about seatbelts and hazard lights, I was ultimately thwarted when I discovered that you have to have a smartphone to be able to participate. Our society's dependence on consuming the meagre and trivial offerings from Apple, Facebook, Amazon et al is what's made this possible in the first place and is now being reinforced by it.

This 'lockdown' is a very modern solution tailored for a modern public.

My crystal ball says this will all blow over after a few months once it emerges that coronavirus isn't the virus of mass destruction we've been led to believe it will be. When it does, I expect no less than apologetic shame from an embarrassed government, press and a percentage of the public who should be held accountable for the damage they've wrought. Instead, what we'll get is an overwhelming surge of smugness from Boris Johnson and the media letting us know that they've saved us, and not just a few references to Churchill.

Addendum - as if any further evidence of the government's idiocy/corruption were needed, bookshops are not the list of essential services. Words are the most fundamental and necessary provision available to man and to be denied access to them defeats the very point of existence.