Might as well be part of the furniture.

Alfa GTV the on going saga

Thought I would post here as it is an ongoing saga to say the least.

I was a happy bunny because I managed to get the airbag light to go off, well bugger me if the following day it came back on and I can't get it to sod off again. I have tried most of the things that a well informed ALFA NUT has told me to do but it still won't go away. So I decided to have a go at other bits that didn't work when I was driving it.

The fuel filler flap is button operated from the dashboard, however, it never worked when I had it on the road, ALFA ROMEO obviously knew there would be an issue so from the factory they installed a piece of cord tucked away behind the carpeting in the boot area, pull the cord and the flap opens and that is what I did for the whole of the time I drove it about. SO armed with information from my new best mate the ALFA NUT, I set about seeing what it could be, eventually finding someone had disconnected something from a module up under the glovebox area, plugged it in and it now works.

Whilst the glove box was out I realised that there was a glovebox light as well as a button to open the boot remotely, never knew that was there, anyway took the switch units off and found that the glove box light switch was stuck in the off position and the boot release didn't move at all. Now these switches are blocks of hard plastic that should slide inside a plastic housing, my ones would not slide, even after soaking in WD40 and using contact cleaner. So I did what any normal person would do in this situation, I took the buttons out and sanded them with 240 grit wet and dry, eventually finishing them off with some 2000 grit, put them back together and now have a glove box light and boot release that work brilliantly. Still don't understand why a solid block of plastic should "swell up"

Next on the list of things to do is clean up the brake disc's, fit the shockabsorbers and the tyres I just got hold of, then try again with the airbag light. oh nearly forgot the wipers have a habit of stopping in the way of the drivers view when on intermittant so will have to have a go at that as well at some point, but all in all it's not too bad for a completely neglected car.

Tyres sorted, as are the shockabsorbers, airbag light still on

Will now have to wait a little while as work beckons (not looking forward to that).

Well work stopped so had a day or so on the GTV, removed the drivers seat yet again and went to town with screwdrivers, wet N dry paper and contact cleaner, eventually put the wiring back in and tried to do a scan and delete airbag errors, to my amazement the damn thing went out, this happened a while ago and came back on the next day, so I'm fingers crossed that this time it's fixed.

Had an issue with the wipers not parking where they should and then parking where they should and then not parking.....youu get the idea, so I removed the wiper system, stripped everything down, cleaned up the contacts, removed the hard old grease and re-greased everything, before putting it all back in the car, now they work as they should (for now anyway).

So now it runs, drives and stops, so I think in the next week or so I will book it in for an MOT and see what it might fail on, only thing I can't check is the Co readings of the engine so it's fingers crossed on that front.

Old enough to know better
    You've got the patience of a saint Bud. Keep us up on the story

No patience really, just get bored quickly and need things to do, can't get on with the proper projects due to waiting for stuff and not able to paint outside in this temperature.

Two days now and the airbag light is still off

Went to get an MOT only to be told that everyone and his dog panicked due to the lockdown and he is inundated with MOT's, not that bothered so will wait for him to tell me to come in for it and go from there.

Airbag light still off

Old enough to know better
    My local guy said the same thing in passing. About the MOT, not your airbag, obviously. Fingers crossed for ya.