Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: No Pistons

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Edit: deleted post (i found the thread i wanted to put it on)

http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/sho...0737#post30737
    Last edited by BaronVonVVankel; 08-11-14 at 11:11 PM. Reason: im a muppet

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonVVankel View Post
    Massive breakthrough on filling in the gaps in the cars history, just received this from a former owner Dave Saxon...

As I recollect it was 1982‐3 when I bought the car from C Hatton for about £350. It was a ‘bog standard’ side valve Black Pop. It had been stored in a garage so little rust. The car was run with the 103 engine for several years. The wife learnt to drive in it with the kids in the back. Unfortunately the car would fill up with exhaust fumes and there was no heater, bad lights and 0‐60 eventually. By 1985 I decided to sell – I didn’t get a sniff (must only be me that liked old cars I thought).
    I convinced myself that if I brought it up to a modern car situation, maybe if it went a bit faster and looked a bit different then basically I would end up with a real nice car. I used to chop old bikes in the 70’s so not a real challenge, but I knew it would cost. I started by stripping car down just to back half of body and its chassis, windows out, doors off, engine out along with running gear. About ’86 I found a MK2 Cortina with a 2000 engine and running gear in a scrap yard. I rebuilt the engine. Cut up and re‐shaped 4 into 1 Ford RS 2000 exhaust system to clear the U.J area of the MG steering pinion. I fitted the front end from a ‘60’s MG ‘B’ GT but had to make small wedges to gain correct castor‐angle.
    Next I welded steel plates to the chassis to strengthen ‘open box shape’. Had someone make up adjustable tie bars, I welded open boxes to top of diff to take tie rods. Coil spring (Jag) cut down – fixed to the axle via steel boxes. The diff, prop and U.J all Cortina parts. Inside the Speedo was ‘50’s Ford Zodiac (looked period). Steering column was from a Triumph Herald as were the sliding members for the front seats. The leather steering wheel was from an MG ‘B’. I added a Smiths heater from on old Mini, at the same time found two air scoops to direct warm air onto the window – found these on a crushed Pop in a scrap yard ‘What a find’. Used a Cortina clutch and brake pedals and a Triumph accelerator.
    I made a new wood floor and a gear box cover. Purchased fibreglass wings, boot and sunroof cover. The front and rear windows were replaced with new (previously laminated). Used one off alloy wheels (K and N).
    Engine next. Made homemade mountings. Pushed the original but revamped radiator further forward to give clearance for the cooling fan. Lights etc changed over to 12 volts with one off wiring loom. Old V.W. rear back lights and Lotus ‘7’ front. Land Rover wiper motor. Put in semifore indicator arms. Brakes (nonexistent rod brakes) changed for Ford Cortina Hydraulics. Put in a radio. Seats were recovered and head lining re‐done. I think that’s about it – car had a complete paint job in Taxi Black. Had to have an engineer’s report
    (he was impressed), flew through M.O.T. Job took 9 months (no garage). I ran the car for many more years. The wife used it for work and the occasional wedding.
    I moved to Leicestershire, still used the car for a while but in about ’96‐7 I debated putting in a Rover V8 (which I’ve still got), never did it. Loved the car but had to let go. It was sold to Mr Ken Rogers. He changed the colour and other things. I’m so glad it’s still going with some of the bits I added. I’d love to see some pic’s (Saw it in Custom Car – looks good).

Some excellent 'provenance' there

New shiny bits Thanks to Northampton Motorsport and Buckland Automotive...