Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No Pistons

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by moparhemi345 View Post
    So, let's have the lowdown on the motor then....
    Erm, its a 1985 RX7 12A twin rotor engine with a displacement of 1146cc (70 cubic inches) but according to the DVLA for tax disc purposes its a 2300cc (not that it matters to me, the car being tax exempt). When I got it, it had such low compression that it would hardly run so its been completely rebuilt with new seals and at the same time 'Half Bridge Ported' to make it breath better (you can see from the photo of one of my ports why its called a Bridge Port). The porting consists of opening up the standard ports plus adding the 'eyebrows' leaving a 'bridge' for the rotor side seal to run across. The standard engine made 115bhp but with the Porting and free flow exhaust its probably around 150bhp now (still using the standard carb). A carb upgrade will take that closer to 200bhp. Beyond that the power possibilities are almost endless if your cheque book can take it, the quickest 12A engined cars have done the 1/4 mile in 7 seconds!! and the later 13B (1308cc) engines run into the sixes!!! Im using the standard 12A gearbox which is geared all wrong for the MG diff/ rear wheel diameter meaning that you need some revs to pull away from stationary and it struggles to pull 5th gear up hill.

Site Team
    A Mazda Rotary in a Lola T616 chassis won C2 at the LeMans 24 hour in 1984. They were Type 13B engines and the noise was almost unbearable. You would be sitting in the pits dropping off until the Mazda came by!!!

Rog.

Quote Originally Posted by SG57 View Post
    You would be sitting in the pits dropping off until the Mazda came by!!!
    Which gives me the perfect opportunity to post 'that' video again 26B...

Highly Strung
    just watched your vid in post #13 and i was expecting your Pop to come along ,i was getting ready to swap engines

Site Team
    The 1984 LeMans 24 hour with the BFGoodrich Lola Mazdas, don't blink or you'll miss a young SG57 wielding a pyrometer!

Rog.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    just watched your vid in post #13 and i was expecting your Pop to come along ,i was getting ready to swap engines
    I wish it sounded that good!!.. don't think mr plod would be too amused though.

Quote Originally Posted by SG57 View Post
    The 1984 LeMans 24 hour with the BFGoodrich Lola Mazdas, don't blink or you'll miss a young SG57 wielding a pyrometer!
    At 4:50? great sideburns!

hope you don`t mind me posting this(I do apoligise and will remove if you do) .I know it`s not your car , but as said above what a great sound they make

Quote Originally Posted by hurtz View Post
    hope you don`t mind me posting this
    Why would I mind? I wonder if it will turn up this weekend?

1308cc Rotary beats Camaro...

Gabba Gabba Hey!!
    Hey thanks for the engine details BVW.
    Interesting you mention the displacement discrepancy.
    I remember when the rotary Nortons first appeared on the tracks, Norton insisting they were 588cc and everybody else insisting they were 1100's.

Oh, and saw the 767 at Brands in '88 or '89, awesome sound. We were up at Druids taking photos and you'd hear it screaming down the start/finish then howling into Paddock Hill bend, up to Druids pop pop popping round then full on screaming down towards Graham Hill bend.
    It was the only car that ever made my wife put her fingers in her ears.

And from Shakespeare Raceway again, me on my 588cc Norton running a 12.3 (standard engine)...