Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I did forget to say that the first year I took the wife's mini for an MOT it failed on headlights - not self levelling and no cleaning mechanism. I said it hasn't got any and he said correct you have fitted Xenon lights and you need these bits to pass. I stated that they were not Xenon lights and he came back with "They are not filament bulbs are they?" I said No they are LED's, he went away and got me a pass certificate. The thing is they were not blinding like you see some production cars but were fitted for better light. Since he knows the car he has never said anything more about them, although as fabphil states he should.

The Vette is MOT exempt so I don't care.

I didn't read all of that link but why due to brexit?

Settling in
    thanks for the info. when finances allow a bit of shopping ill see if i can get some. although i did find out yesterday that the main beam in the centre lights wasnt working as id forgot to earth them when i rewired the car [h1 bulb] so sorted that and the new plugs for the outer two the earth wires were loose in the plug. sorted that anf wow i can see at night now awesome lol.

Those earths can be tricky little buggers at times but it does help to actually connect them

So whilst everyone else was out and about either at a show or the beach (or so it would seem), I was messing around with the rear end on the Vette.

I've changed my mind yet again, I was originally just going to blow in the front part of the body and reattach the newly painted nose cone but as time has yet again passed me bye, I decided to start to rub down the rear panel on the vette which is made form the same material as the front nose. This means getting all the old paint off and using plastic additive to the primers and gloss coat paint.

I had a quick look at what I thought was needed and set a couple of hours aside to get it done BUGGER ME!!!!!!! one and a half days later the thing is now off.

SO here I started to rub it down, it is easier whilst it is attached to the car as it is very flexible, but when all the easy bits have been done I need to take it off to do all the curved and fiddly bits.

So now to undo the retaining nuts and self tapping screws that hold the panel to the rest of the car. This should really only take an hour or so, but the joys of old vehicle ownership and previous owners past works meant that the nuts where a mixture of 3/*" and 8 & 9mm plus 7mm self tapping "bolts" as well as four proper self tapping screws, it was two of the latter that would not come undone no matter what I tried, so after a bit of a calm down over night I decided the only real course of action was to remove the fuel tank!! The spare wheel carrier has not been on the car for a good few years so I thought this would be easy but then realised that I needed to remove the exhausts first, they were rusted together like someone had used gorrilla glue (oh wait I fitted them) Eventually they came apart, this is one side done.

Then there are a number of hoses to release at the top of the tank which were easy plus a couple of wires, this just left two nuts on long threads which are the hold down straps for the tank and four nuts on the cross member that holds the back of the tank up. Cross member was easy but the two nuts on the long threads didn't want to budge, loads of wire brushing and wd helped but the nuts were an odd size at 15mm, I don't have a deep 15mm socket so had to use a ring spanner, this is where I lost my middle finger knuckle on my left hand, smarted a bit and claret everywhere
    Eventually we had this.

And these were the offending items

Even now they gave me grief, used a good fitting phillips screwdriver to no avail, used an impact driver again to no avail, eventually a centre punch and club hammer got them to move and then the aforementioned screwdriver did the rest and we ended up with this

I was now in the mood to get a bit done as this had taken so long, I then attacked the front, removed the headlights completely and the behind the nose cone support.

I have also gone off on a tangent again (oh no NOT again, Oh yes yet again), I wanted to know if I could fit an LPG tank in the space where the tank was and if so could a small petrol tank be fabricated and would the spare wheel carrier fit back in place. I bought an LPG kit years ago with everything to fit a small block chevy, however I think it was fitted to a truck as the mixer fits directly on to the top of the carb, if I do this then the air filter will properly foul the bonnet so I would need a carb "bonnet" (see Items Wanted Post), and remote filter to make it work on the Vette or have the thinnest air filter imaginable.

This is till a feasibility exercise at the moment but first indications are that it could work, will need at least a four, maybe five, gallon fuel tank just in case I can't find an LPG filling station nearby in the future.

Had a bit of time today to play so I finished off rubbing the back panel down with 80 grit and 120 grit paper before attacking it with 600 grit wet n dry in readiness for painting. Would have used 400 but only had the 600 to hand.
    This is before the 600 grit.

Then sprayed on the plastic primer.

Can you spot the run?

And finally for today a couple of coats of ordinary primer with a flexible additive added in.

I was hoping to get the gloss on but time ran out and I want to flat the panel down with some more 600 before gloss. The weather here tomorrow id not good for spraying so will have to wait a few days for the colour coat.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 03-06-21 at 06:05 PM.

Well I did put colour on it today but frankly I could probably have done better just throwing the paint at it rather than spraying it. I got all too excited and with the first pass managed to get some runs Decided to carry on regardless and got some more, then before it got too hard a moth (in the bloody daytime) decided to flap and stick to it.

Basically I will now have to wait till it is rock solid and then try to polish out the runs, if all else fails it's got a good base coat now so a quick flat and blast more paint on it may be the best option.

The black splodge above the three holes is the offending moth.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 05-06-21 at 07:12 PM.

Old enough to know better
    Did the moth come out of your wallet ?? Seriously though, I am in awe of your patience. Keep on going, great to see progress

Old enough to know better
    Just to add, that I've just gone back and spent a very enjoyable hour re-reading the entire thread, including the video. Makes my old bones very happy to see someone who can, not only fix old motors, but also write the Queen's English. There's not many of us left

I don't have a wallet, the wife just spends everything so no point having one Glad you enjoyed the re-read I think I need to continue the threads I have started so that when I see I haven't posted for a while it will give me a kick to go and do something to the cars.

Today I thought I would have a go at the lpg front end fitment. I decided to hack the Holley to allow the mixer to sit directly on top of the carb complete with the air cleaner.
    started with this.

Some bits removed

The choke horn stops the mixer from sitting flush.

Set to with an angle grinder, hacksaw and files and added more bits to the "not required" pile

Now we have this

Trial fitting of the Holley, mixer and air filter showed that the very front of the air filter was just touching the underside of the bonnet when fully closed, so I then set to and removed the "lip" on the bottom of the air filter base which effectively reduces the whole filter height by 15mm.

Now have under bonnet clearance with the option of a bit more if required by using a slightly thinner filter element than the 3" one I currently have.

One of the reasons I opted for the Holley set up is that when the mixer was trial fitted over the Quadrajet the mixer would not give an equal spread of air/gas as the larger butterfies which only come on when really moving took up a load of space, here you can see that the Holley is more central so should give more even flows at most throttle positions.

So now a bit more fettling with a file to smooth bits out, complete clean and carb rebuild will have this hurdle sorted, next step is securely fitting the tank in the rear, if that goes as well, then we are going lpg for sure.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 06-06-21 at 08:51 PM.

Spent a bit of time on and off on the rear end set up for the LPG. I have a cylindrical tank that holds 80L of LPG so enough for most journey's as that would give me around 200 miles per tank. I reinstalled the forward most original petrol tank mount that goes from one side of the chassis to the other. I then spied two slotted holes further back in the chassis and so made anoter side to side mounting out of some 80x40x3 box section (overkill I know but it was there so why not). I then added two 6mm thick flat steel plates one at each end of the box on the bottom and drilled a hole in each. With the rear bumper shockabsorbers removed from inside the chassis rails I was able to fit a large washer and a high tensile steel bolt through the slots and these picked up on the tabs welded to the box section. When all bolted up the LPG tank was lowered down and now rests on the original front petrol tank crossmember and the new box section. This is a view down through the original fuel filler flap, you can see the new box section and the side of the tank sitting on it.

All I need to do now is add the retaining straps to the two crossmembers that will hold the tank securely and that is that done I think I will be able to use the original spare wheel as well.
    I have since measured up to get a very simple tank made for petrol, basically 150mm x 180mm x approx 1100mm long box, (a bit different size at one end to the other and with a small well at one end), this will give me just over 6 gallons of petrol, so I'm happy about that. Just need to draw it up and see who can make it for me as I'm not sure my welding of thin metal will be good enough. (give me 3mm and above thick steel and I'm fine, thin stuff I'm rubbish).
    So next is ordering up the gas lines and fittings I need and I can get on with plumbing it all in.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 19-06-21 at 06:01 PM.