Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.

Cam bearings 460 Ford

I installed the 5 new cam bearings in my block last night. I used the proper tool so they should all have gone in square.
    All the oil ways line up correctly, but when I came trial fit the cam it wouldn't go into the first bearing!
    I'm guessing the tolerances on the cam and bearing could be at opposite ends of the scale, so bearing to small, cam to big.
    Will try and get some measurements later.
    If this is the case what are my options? Bearing in mind the block weights around 300lbs and is not easy to move anywhere.

Well without any info from more knowledgeable people than me, I would measure everything at least twice, check that there is no burring whatsoever on the bearing and then if all seems correct I would suggest a trip with the block (I know you said it's bloody heavy) with the cam to a good machine guy that knows what he is doing.
    To me it would look like a line hone of the cam bearings if not too far off or a grind of the cam if it's too great a difference. The alternative would be ensure that the cam would have fitted without the bearings, (basically checking that you have the correct cam for the block), if it does then you could get a new set of bearings specific to the cam journal size and the block bore. Easy to take the old/new ones out and replace.
    It's a bugger when you think you have all the correct bits and find that they actually don't fit (definately been there, done that recently)
    Keep plodding along, you are getting there

REV JIM RACING.
    Was the cam tunnel honed at the shop you got it from ..?

Quote Originally Posted by Torment View Post
    Was the cam tunnel honed at the shop you got it from ..?
    Got the block direct from the States. The crank was line bored, the cylinders were all finish honed, but not sure about the cam tunnel.
    Last edited by fabphil; 02-10-18 at 03:31 PM.

Any one know of a reliable machine shop in the Herts, Beds Nth London area?

Site Team
    Serdi at Uxbridge are good.

Middlesex rebore might be of some help. In my case they were not as I had expected, then I found out my friend asked the wrong questions, if he had asked what I thought he was going to ask they could have sorted me out with the Vette engine quicker than me messing around.

Another place I have had recommended to me was serle in Cambridge.

Middlesex reboring, now there's a name from the past.
    I used them back in the late 70's when doing my 1500 pre-crossflow Fords.

Steve, thanks I have a look at Serdi

Another question. Once press fit bearings have been fitted can they be knocked out and re-used?
    Or do I have to get another set?
    Looks like I've got to remove the set I've just installed and check they actually fit the cam journal.

When you push fit a bearing or bush it shrinks a little. Yeh I know that ball races are strong but believe me, I have to machine cases to take ball races and if I'm a 1/2 thou out they will not turn.

So once you push them out the 'squeez' is released. It only takes a few microns to make the difference.

Are they bearings or bushes?

G