Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Might as well be part of the furniture. fad15's Avatar
    Thats about the truth of it these days. Been waiting 5 years to see the Topo on the tarmac again....
    Hand built... the ONLY way.

Might as well be part of the furniture. fad15's Avatar
    Moving on; I found a few pictures of the resin form I made for the vac forming machine. The guys at the forming company told me that recessed windows and things would probably not work out but they said they would give it a try.

This form was hollow and around 25mm thick. which meant I could drill 1mm holes in all the places, that had a chance of not evacuating completely, like the window recesses and the grill recess I probably drilled around 100 or so holes, including a lot all around the bottom of the body and at the edges of the wheel arches so the 'returns' had to have a way of getting a vacuum.

After all this was done, I then went over the whole form with a small chisel to redefine the edges, finesse lines etc.

And so I went, form in hand (and it was sodding heavy) off to the formers some 45 miles away to see how it would come out.

There was also a secondary form for both halves of the headlights and parachute. I even considered making white metal door handles and grills as a finishing touch, but that never happened.

Last edited by fad15; 13-04-20 at 12:58 PM.
    Hand built... the ONLY way.

Might as well be part of the furniture. hurtz's Avatar
    cool
    wot no beard