Might as well be part of the furniture.

LPG Installation

OK, so for many years I have owned already converted LPG powered vehicles, Land Rovers, Chevy Blazers and the Suburban, all injected vehicles and I have enjoyed fuel as low as 32p/litre in the begining (now about 69p/litre).

So I had intended to do a DIY jobbie on the C3 Vette and to that end have been collecting bits as and when I saw them (I know I should have bought a complete kit but I didn't)

Anyway, I have a tank and associated valving, various gas and fuel solenoids, the evaporator (still need to get the single point injection piece and carb bonnet) and I bought a wiring kit which on inspection is brand new but very old stock, my issue is that the very limited instructions for the wiring are in itallian and when I do a google translate I don't understand one of the items.

Has anyone done a DIY conversion or do you speak very good itallian?

So the item I am having an issue with is a black wire that states TENERE ISOLATO basic translation according to ooglegoogle is KEEP ISOLATED.

It is not the earth as that is a yellow and green wire and I am happy with the other wires functions just not this black wire.

I read that as a separate earth,
    I wonder if it's like a relay where you need a double earth
    No I don't speak italian

I know you will probably have done this , use the part's manufacturer for what systems use the part and google the English version as a pdf, that should get you the wiring diagram
    as a slight aside, I thought I could just look at my saved docs, or bookmarks and find the details..But gone
    and I have a complete system , on a top shelf 7 feet in the air and full of gas

Re the old stock wiring ?
    as far as I know there has been little change to the LPG wiring, but car wiring has evolved more
    I looked at LPG systems ( I ran all the vans and cars on LPG from about 1984, I only stopped because of the supplier of the gas ) for my b-in-law about 5 or 6 years ago , so he could run on a "cheaper gas" and got him the bits, (suffice to say we no longer talk)

Gas suppliers round here have all but gone, my nearest one is 12 miles away, basically just over 2 gallons to go get it in the Suburban but when it was our daily it didn't matter as I often worked in areas that did have it so would fill up at every opportunity. I nearly bought a tank for home but then things just didn't work out as planned and it never happened.

The idea was that with the Vette I could get close to 15 mpg so on gas would work out as a daily driver again and I could hoon it around.

I see your logic with the solenoid earth but the colour of the cable is just putting me off. I know someone on the other channel that has done a few diy conversions so will see if I can get in touch with him.

Cheers for your input, oh and be careful with that tank of gas, it's bloody heavy as you know.

Black

Black electrical wire is used for power in all circuits. Any circuit's black wire should be considered hot or live. Black wire is never used for a ground or neutral wire and should be used as the power feed for a switch or an outlet. A black wire is often used in a circuit as a switch leg, the connection that runs from the switch to the electrical load.

Gas suppliers round here have all but gone
    That part of the problem, the tanks and the insurance for the tanks, defeat the idea, efi engines made it less welcome
    The tank at home? I had a tank in the yards from Calor.....Manual pump.....Problem Calor said it delivered 1 litre per stoke of handle.......Wrong correct figure would be about 8 per litre
    Billing, that as well.......what was supposed to happen was you phone for deliver, when it reaches 5% or 10%. and they DD you 3 days later again wrong intantly DD , plus they used the customer as a bank, they just delivered to make a sale. it took 3 month to get rid of them , I had to lock them out as the given notice they just delivered 750 litres ......and you had to use that.
    I would use it again, never with Calor. Flo-Gas had a better system .
    If you have a farm and a tank, the billing become interesting because the tank gets filled and the price is allocated to use , the house heating/Cooking and the motor usage different duty applies.........You can see the advantage...."Honest the car only uses 25 litres per month"
    I notice that GMC and Ford (USA) supply new trucks with a dual Gas system

I ran LPG on Range Rover with 10.5 compression engine comp cam 4 into 2 into 1 per side 4 dell o'rtos , , then Holley, the beauty of LPG is you could run a 12.1 compression engine engine
    The tank of gas?.......I had forgotten about it, till I saw this thread, I have taken all precautions......I 've checked the insurance

Black

Black electrical wire is used for power in all circuits. Any circuit's black wire should be considered hot or live. Black wire is never used for a ground or neutral wire and should be used as the power feed for a switch or an outlet. A black wire is often used in a circuit as a switch leg, the connection that runs from the switch to the electrical load.

Is this from the LPG instructions?

I live in an area with no Natural Gas supply nearby so our heating was going to be either Calor or Oil, I spoke to various locals that had Calor and they put me off, this was 28 years ago.

I was looking at buying a tank out right and getting an independent supplier to fill as and when I required, not when they said. The idea was to have a takeoff on the top of the tank as well as one on the bottom, you will know the reasons for that. but as I said it all went by the wayside due to various reasons.

What gets me is I have put on about 80k miles in vehicles fitted with LPG, including, travelling all over France and Italy without issues, all the filling points were to the side of the main petrol forecourts and all was well, over here they usually put the LPG filling in amongst the petrol and diesel pumps, which is just stupid.

Also I find it strange that LPG is supposed to be better for the environment yet the governments of whatever years never really gave it the push they could have, there was a bit of compo at one time but nothing like they were giving for electric cars a few years back.

It was from general guidelines, it's not too clear .
    I think the name of the manufacture I downloaded from was and I'm just guessing Landi-Hartog

Red LPG....that's the answer,

I remember there being an initiative for using LPG, I can't remember what they were.
    Future Fuel?
    Electric, Yes ....DIY repair or build?...Yes, there are plenty of books in replacing ICE for electric
    Hybrid Yes ....DIY repair or build?...I think that probably would be a no go
    Hydrogen powered for the future?.That I struggle to believe, the cost of the car and availability, Don't see it
    LPG is still probably the best, It's certainly the simplest.I wonder if that is why that together with the lack of image is why it's neglected?

I had a look at Flo-Gas Britain web site they seem to have a fair few outlets, in regard to a fill
    Last edited by dirth; 15-12-20 at 11:32 PM.

Just had another quick ooglegoogle on filling stations near me and it is soooo far out of date it's unreal. The two nearest me (a Large Tesco's and an independent outlet), stopped selling autogas over 6 YEARS ago!!!!!

I could not be further away in any direction from a filling station if I tried, South is 12 miles away, North is 15 miles away, West is 15 miles away and East about 20 miles away.

There used to be an LPG conversion place just 1 mile away, that sold LPG as well, he was by no means cheap but he stopped doing the conversions and selling gas about 4 years ago and now sells fake old petrol pumps I believe.

I will soon see how things are in the real world again as the Suburban is about to hit the roads, just need to sort out booking it in for it's MOT.

My concern with converting the Vette is if I use a doughnut tank in place of the spare wheel and run the risk of getting a puncture and not being able to get home or replace the fuel tank and have a smaller petrol tank made, whatever happens I can't afford to not have petrol due to the supply issues. (I know loads of new cars don't have spares and have a can of goop but I don't like that idea much).
    I will think on.

When I bough my RR it had the conversion around 1979 i bought it when it was 4 years old
    anyway the owner of a spinning mill had a RR ,bought an RR from a company who advertise in AutoCar and the other weekly
    It had one tank under each sill 150 ltr each
    small tank in the engine compartment I think that had petrol 20 lltrs
    the OE tank was replaced with 2 gas tanks total 250 ltrs
    one in the boot space(that was the type I had 80 ltr
    He could go to Italy and return so he said

The point of this is the under bonnet tank
    Small Capacity Alloy fuel tanks for the likes of Rally cross cars are I think easily available foam filled no sensors , the question where would in fit
    I too am not keen on the lack of spare

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Just had another quick ooglegoogle on filling stations near me and it is soooo far out of date it's unreal. The two nearest me (a Large Tesco's and an independent outlet), stopped selling autogas over 6 YEARS ago!!!!!

I could not be further away in any direction from a filling station if I tried, South is 12 miles away, North is 15 miles away, West is 15 miles away and East about 20 miles away.

There used to be an LPG conversion place just 1 mile away, that sold LPG as well, he was by no means cheap but he stopped doing the conversions and selling gas about 4 years ago and now sells fake old petrol pumps I believe.

I will soon see how things are in the real world again as the Suburban is about to hit the roads, just need to sort out booking it in for it's MOT.

My concern with converting the Vette is if I use a doughnut tank in place of the spare wheel and run the risk of getting a puncture and not being able to get home or replace the fuel tank and have a smaller petrol tank made, whatever happens I can't afford to not have petrol due to the supply issues. (I know loads of new cars don't have spares and have a can of goop but I don't like that idea much).
    I will think on.
    I've got a 100ltr steel tank you could strap on a boot rack

Lucky it doesn't have a boot otherwise we would be into mad max territory

I think if I get all the bits required then I will have to remove the petrol tank and see if a new tank could be fabricated to fit somewhere close and still leave me with a spare wheel (My spare wheel is called a space saver but it is the size of most cars ordinary wheels nothing like the really skinny versions in modern cars).