Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Site Team
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Managed to get the two offending broken bits of bolt out fairly easily as it goes, centre punch and gentle persuasion Unfortunately I have to wait for some bits to turn up before I can finish this off and start using it.
    Waiting for bits...

...been there, got the T shirt!!

I'm on my second Alfa, had a 156 'Sportwagon' (that's an estate to everyone else) as a company car in 2001, which was a great car. 110k when it was moved on and it still had the original exhaust and clutch. I've had a 2008 Alfa GT (2.0 jts Cloverleaf) as my daily for twelve years now. Bought it when it was six months old, low mileage then and getting close to 100k on the clock now but (touch wood) no major issues but I do get it serviced regularly (local friendly garage) and keep ahead of the cambelt change timetable.
    I source any required parts myself and the guy is happy with that. That's how I know bout waiting for parts!! I recently made the mistake of ordering handbrake cables from a company called autodoc.co.uk. They listed the parts as 'in stock' but it took three emails (and four days) before I had confirmation that the parts were ready to despatch. That was when I found out that despite the .co.uk address, they were based in Berlin!! Another week went by before the bloody things arrived. I've found out that a couple of other companies with .co.uk addresses are actually the same place so I avoid them like the plague as the stuff took so long to materialise.

I can thoroughly recommend Alfaworkhsop though. They are are company based in Royston. If they've got the parts, the website lists how many are in stock and the stuff is sent out same day. Prices are fair and most of the bits are genuine Alfa parts. After a couple of orders, I got a loyalty card which gives a bit of discount too. Try them on https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk

I sympathise with you on the paint as well. Mine is straight Alfa red but the clear is lifting in a couple of places and motorway miles seem to accumulate road rash (I'm guessing the base colour was white as it doesn't appear to be primer) like there's no tomorrow.

When I'd had the car for a couple of years, it got rear ended when parked outside my house. Nothing major but a new rear bumper and straighten the offside rear quarter. While it was in the body shop, I decided to fit a detachable tow bar as we had recently acquired an Eriba caravan for our journeys to rod runs and the like. I'd had a detachable hitch on the 156 when we had a caravan a few years earlier, so knew the car could cope .Prices seemed astronomical, so I thought I'd do a quick 'google search' and found loads of threads on Alfa 'enthusiast' forums that seemed to indicate that it was nothing short of a hanging offence to fit a tow hitch to an Alfa GT!! A couple of searches later and I found a site in Italy that supplied me with a great (almost invisible when not in use) detachable tow hitch for the car. It was fitted while the car was in the body shop, it cost about half the prices i had been quoted earlier and has been great for towing the lightweight caravan ever since.

All things considered, I still rate the Alfas I have had and can't see myself getting rid of this one anytime soon.

Sorry for rambling on. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the GTV.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I do like a 156, I nearly bought a GT myself last year but then read horror stories of the rusting subframes and was actually put off by that.

I saw my first GTV when driving through France in the early 90's and just loved the look, if there were two items I could change it would firstly be to rear wheel drive, I think then it would have been a bigger seller. The other issue is I'm 6'2" and it is tight in there but I still manage it .

Royston is not far from me so will give them a look in Cheers.
    Last edited by stilltrying; 28-02-21 at 10:31 AM.

Been a while I know but have tinkered away at this on and off, the issue is that it would only rev cleanly when really hot, anything under hot and it would hesitate when booted or you had to feather the throttle and it would drive ok ish.

I had bought a set of leads to connect the lapustopus up to the obd port, this is how I got the Air bag lights to go off but it would not connect to the engine ecu, tried loads of different ways but to no avail so in the end I decided that maybe the ecu was getting incorrect info from the temperature sensor, so bought a new one and fitted NO, not that then, got some Ohm readings of the MAF but no-one on the Alfa forums could say it was good or bad and I had already fitted a cheap new one years ago anyway, which didn't alter anything. I removed the plug to the MAF but that didn't do anything, so, someone was selling a genuine second hand MAF that they said they had tried on their own TS and it worked perfectly so I bought that (really cheap). After wrestling with a couple of captive bolts and nuts eventually I got it swapped in and bloody hell it's working great, Huston we have lift off

So now the car starts and rev's as it should, all the belts have been changed as has the oil and filters so now it's on the road, albeit with a very dodgy paint job, mainly the bonnet.

I might have a go at rubbing it down and maybe painting it satin black as a contrast to the rest of the body as I will never get a close match on the off red metallic paint that it should have. Time will tell.

Great to see some progress
    Not touched mine since last September been to busy doing house jobs and moving my office home.
    Hope to get back on it soon though.

And there was me thinking you were just going to turn up at a meeting somewhere.

Have you managed to get the exhausts sorted?

Well wouldn't you know, my lad has swiped the car for a month or so, so that he can do up his GOLF!!!!!!, anyway I said he would have to put fuel in it straight away as the reserve light was on, off he trotts and comes back later with a photo of the car with another GTV, he said he hadn't seen another one in years and the very first time he goes out in it he finds another one (might have a photo later if he can be bothered to send it to me.

BUT in other news he put just over 20 of petrol in and the light stayed on and the gauge still read nearly empty so we decided to remove the fuel pump and sender unit that is in the tank and see if it was something easy. The pump etc. is located behind the back seats, easy to remove just two 10mm nuts and a bit of hefting and out they came, then four 8mm nuts to get the cover plate off to reveal the top of the pump. Undid the wiring and bridged out the sender and the gauge went to full, so that bit was ok, therefore the sender unit had issues.

Next was school boy error time ------- undid the fuel line from the pump, forgetting that this is run at something like 30psi so guess what happened, wife not happy as clothes and myself stink of fuel. Then it was the turn of undoing the large plastic "nut" that hold everything in place, ended up with a large screwdriver and a hammer but we won in the end so why didn't the pump come out? answer, it had sealed itself to the rubber gasket, so out with the special pry bar 2000 (large screwdriver) and it suddenly sprang upwards and I mean with loads of spring pressure. took a further five minutes to get the thing out of the tank, I think Alfa must employ really small handed people. Moved the float about a bit, plugged the wiring back in REMEMBERING to point the outlet at the large hole in the tank, switched on the ignition, fuel pumped into tank and gauge worked as it should, moved the float up and down etc. just to make sure, then spent the next 40 minutes fighting to get it all back in the same positions as before.

So, not something we had expected to do but now sorted without shelling out for a new pump and sender unit (kin expensive they are).

I did rub the bonnet down and removed all the rest of the flaking clear coat, it now looks "PATINA'd" the lad doesn't care but I will now order some Satin matte black paint and eventually will spray it up.

Well, a bit miffed as today the car started a bottom end rumble, only managed just over 300 miles of it running well, so it will be getting broken up or sold for scrap, shame as it was going well and I spent a few hundred quid on trying to make it reliable but just goes to show that these cars don't like been left for long periods.

If it was in better overall condition body wise I probably would have rebuilt the engine but can't justify spending more money on something that isn't worth a lot in the first place, heyho.

Old enough to know better
    Awww. I was begining to get quite an affinity for it......

Shame after all that work.
    What's next Vette or Tee?

Quote Originally Posted by KerbyCrewGary View Post
    Awww. I was begining to get quite an affinity for it......
    It was fun while it lasted